FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I am working on an updated area ride guide for TBKA, and wondering if we can get the Google launch sites map updated with:

Gandy Information
Fred Howard Park- now open for kiting
Sunset- post the kiting guidelines that were passed
Correct spelling of Skyway (it says Skway)
If anyone has more detailed info or new sites to add, please post them here.

I am also looking for the Sarasota Launches map, and can't get in touch with anyone from either of the Sarasota Kiteboarders Coalition(s).

I'd also like to get some basic guidelines finalized for South County, mainly regarding instruction around Skyway and Ft Desoto.
As we instructors are the first to get blamed for problems, its time we sort this out for good and stick with it.

Steve Sadler (813)389-3683
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Guidelines passed at Sunset?

Hi Steve - Just wondering about the Sunset guidelines that you mentioned - Could you post a quick rundown here? Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

I don't have them, nor the time to track them down. I know the North county kiters got a sign installed and have some basic guidelines in place. Maybe one of them can chime in with the info on Sunset and Howard Park.

Thanks for updating the map, mystery dudez...

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluepet View Post
Hi Steve - Just wondering about the Sunset guidelines that you mentioned - Could you post a quick rundown here? Thanks
There was a meeting last night between a number of North County riders to discuss the best approach to educating and informing new and existing riders of the best practices to use on and off the water at all north county riding locations. I would expect something to come out soon on the forum with the results of that meeting or at least some guidelines.

Danny
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Default For Steve S - SRQ guidelines

To be sure check with Laurel at Island Style in SRQ - you can also see our rules/regs under the Sarasota section here in fksa (ESPECIALLY THE BIRD/NESTING RULES - WE ALMOST GOT SHUT DOWN LAST YEAR) - in a nut shell ... north to south ...

north lido beach - stay out of swim area - works from NNW to SW - very limited parking in season

south lido - stay out of swim area - check tide - it flows fast both ways and can kill your wind - also be sure kite with others as relaunching when caught in that current can be super-tuff - same goes for losing a board/trying to drag for it - works from NW to WSW) - mpre parking than at north end

siesta key - STAY OUT OF THE SWIM AREA and since it is ALWAYS SUPER CROWDED WITH BEACH GOERS do not fly/jump/get kooky on the beach - head for the water - works from NW to S - parking ... lol!

siesta key/point of rocks - it is ALWAYS SUPER CROWDED WITH BEACH GOERS do not fly/jump/get kooky on the beach - head for the water - works from NNW to WSW - parking ... lol! - stay waaaaaaaaay up wind of the point (south point) - there is a SUPER BIG CURRENT and you will think the wind shut down on you when in fact you are being swept downwind - if you miss the last bit of sand there is nothing but rock for a mile - not kiter friendly south of the point

turtle beach - be respectful of the surfers - believe me when i say they DO NOT think you are cool cuz you can ride between them or over them - works on a NNW to SSW - limited parking in season

venice jetty - be respectful of the surfers - ditto on they DO NOT THINK YOU ARE COOL - you want to walk down the beach to avoid the HUGE TREE WIND-BLOCK if you are after the waves - you can always ride upwind to the waves - again watch out for the surfers - good parking

venice beach - stay out of the swim area - you can kite north or south of the public beach - limited parking in season

I am sure some other SRQ riders can chime in

OS/SRQ
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Gandy Rocked today!

Sweeet session today.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 PM

Cool Niiice...

Sorry I missed it...couldn't shake work today...