FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Default Growing Sport

I saw a groupon deal today for kitesurfing lessons. If anyone is familiar with groupon it usually shows about how many have taken advantage of the deal. Looks like over 120 have purchased with time left.

Made me think about how crowded some of our riding spots would be if all of the people redeemed and started riding this season, its gonna be raining noobs!

Danny
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

---

Decided to remove my post.

Last edited by Steve-O; 11-11-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Groupon for skydiving? Groupon for base jumping? How about chain saw juggling?
Groupon diminishes the gravity of the sport. Making it all too accessible for people without a true appreciation for the risks. I saw a guy dragged into the mangroves yesterday in cocoa. He was very lucky to not be seriously hurt. Another guy had to fully release his way overpowered kite and had to swim upwind 200 yards to the launch. Lucky for him he was a strong swimmer. His kite would have blown clear to Miami if not for others retrieving it for him.
Locally, there are incidents nearly every windy day. Lost boards, out of control launch attempts, kites crashing on the beach near tourists...the list goes on.
I can appreciate instructors making a living..but, no one should be led to believe that kite surfing can be learned and mastered cheaply.
If students aren't willing to commit the necessary financial resources, how can anyone expect them to commit the mental attention needed to stay safe?
Kitesurfing involves real risk. To oneself and others. Groupon deals simply bring the wrong type of people to the sport.
Raining noobs? For sure. Raining out-of-control bodies and equipment onto tourists and other kiters. Keep it up, and access is going to disappear...
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
I saw a groupon deal today for kitesurfing lessons. If anyone is familiar with groupon it usually shows about how many have taken advantage of the deal. Looks like over 120 have purchased with time left.

Made me think about how crowded some of our riding spots would be if all of the people redeemed and started riding this season, its gonna be raining noobs!

Danny
Were you not riding in the area 5-6 years ago?

There were exponentially more kiters then... I would know, I was one of them.

Things have died down, I haven't ever seen 50+ riders at East Beach since those times.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM

I started riding about 4-5 years ago and remember tons of riders too. It has seemed to die down a bit, though those windy Saturdays you can find east beach still pretty packed.