FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
Kites bigger than 18 suck a$$
Well, it was better than not riding, but now I am really having fun in solid 11 knots with a 15m and the right board and it actually feels pretty sweet!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:29 PM
tomstock

I agree... I went out on my 21m... really not having fun.. pulling like a pig and turning so slow I could barely jump it.

Went in and rigged my 15M. Was just 'ok' on my light wind board, and definately underpowered on my regular board.

Then out of nowhere Scott starts throwing 10ft jumps with no effort on his 15M Red RRD. WTF!!! I need to try that kite I am thinking to myself. So finally Scott offers and I climb into the red wagon. I was underpowered for about 5 seconds until I hit the power band of that kite (which is all up top). WHAM I am now lit out of my mind... completely overpowered :shock:

Only problem was, when I slowed down, I was underpowered again. Seemed I couldn't find the middle ground...either sinking or dragging my butt trying to slow the beast down so that I could hold an edge. I'm not kidding.. I did a jump and came in to the beach so fast that I didn't think I was going to be able to stop!

I am completely stumped by that kite.

Anyway, I went back out on my 15m and lightwind board and spent some time learning F16s. I finally started landing them when the wind came down and the water got too shallow to ride. Wow was I happy.

Overall a good day. I am thinking about buying a 15M RRD and selling my 15m, 18m, and 21m... I am assuming by Scott's riding that I would eventually get the power band figured out. I really liked the way it flew.. but it seemed like once it started pulling, pushing out the bar didn't depower it? I am also considering a waroo but am not sure of the top end.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Skyway Scott

It's definitely an interesting kite. Donna rode it in solid 15+ and simply had a blast on it. I thought she was gonna get whacked for sure considering it's power, but I wanted to see, so I kinda lied and told her I wasn't concerned. I was surprised how easily she handled it.

I think the trick to this kite is to do minimal sheeting on it while riding. Sheeting in only 2 inches increases the power tremendously (I stopper ball it). Alot of SLEs have huge throws (more than a foot) This kite has the smallest throw from depowered to amped of any kite I have ridden.
Even tho sheeting in increases the power a ton, the bar pressure is minimal when powered.
Donna rode it at about 40 percent power.
I think you had it AMPED, Tom!
Did you sheet out more than 3 inches?

Also, the kite really wants to go upwind, so edging it to the edge of the window is basically how to control it's power. If you bear off in (even slightly) in 13 knots while the kite is powered, you will get amped outta yo' MIND! :shock:

It's not a kite for everyone, no doubt.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:47 PM
tomstock

Yeah that was basically it... if I didn't "hold it down" and man handle it when it kicked in, it would take over and I was in for a fight with it. I think maybe the stopper was set too low. I did try to move it but it wouldn't budge? Seemed like once there is tension on the CL that stopper thing didn't want to move. Maybe I needed to get some slack in the lines before moving it.

Anyway, I'm impressed. I know the kite could have been tuned better for my weight and been perfect... wish I had messed with it. The bar pressure was almost nothing. It felt similar to the 9m Waroo... about 5 times less bar pressure than the crossbow.

Too bad they cost so darn much
Old 11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Skyway Scott

To move that stopper, pull the bar in about an inch away and then push the stopper ball ---- hard.
The SS link and TD bars are much easier to move the stopper while riding.
It's still easier than locking down a thumb screw or something though.

Pray for wind tomorrow, there was zip tonight.