FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Apollo Beach Area

I was wondering if anyone ever rides on the inside of the bay or knows of anyone that rides on the inside of the bay around the apollo beach area? Is the wind to light over in this area?

Jonathan
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone ever rides on the inside of the bay or knows of anyone that rides on the inside of the bay around the apollo beach area? Is the wind to light over in this area?

Jonathan
Jonathan,

No the wind is actually really good on this side of the bay, esp. this time of year.

As far as I know there are only three of us that Kite over in this area of the bay: Myself, my wife Lori and Travis ( whom I haven't seen in a year now ).
I don't know why, maybe access issues? Four Places to go are Apollo bch ( park on the north park ), Skyway South, Bahia bch and piney point if you only have a car . with boat support the possibilities are virtually endless........................sandbars, shallow water, great scenery, nature etc.

Where do you usually kite? U R missing out if you haven't tried these spots being so close to home
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM

I'm new actually I just finished lessons in key west with the kite house. I have followed this board since it was a different name and then transfered over here.. I have been trying to get into this sport and last time my son was born so I was put on hold. I know wrong time of year, but with my job I finally have time and the wind dies in a week. I live in brandon so apollo beach would work out great because it is only 3 exits down from my job..

Jonathan
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Can't Re-member

actually the wind dies in 6 weeks , give or take.......................usually gives up the ghost in June?

this year has been funny, seems shifted like may time is april

Apollo bch is a small narrow narrow bch and upwind is required to get back to your starting point. rec only for advanced.

Bahia bch is much better bigger by far bch but still need to go upwind since the bch isn't endless. Prolly rec for an intermediate.

Skyway south and Piney point are long beach areas more or less in inches water or dry sandbars depending on the tides. Piney point stretches for miles and miles but I 've only ridden there never actually launched there.
rec either ones for beginers
Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Interested in sport, live in Apollo Beach

Hi,

I just read about Kiteboarding in a magazine yesterday and think it looks like an awesome sport.
Question - are there instructional classes in Apollo Beach? Also, I noticed you were all talking about the wind ending in 6 weeks, is this a bad time to try and pick up the sport?

Thanks so much! Hopefully I'll meet some of you!

Nancy
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM

I have ridden Apollo bch once but the wind was really gusty that day, coming strait over the plant. Never been o piney point Is it big enough for a landboard? I am interested in this east bay side downwinder though wher would you recomend launching and landing... maybe apollo bch to bahia? with a quick stop a beer can.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Skyway Scott

Nancy, if it were me, I would wait to get lessons until around October.

Once you ride for 3 seconds you are going to want more. Not having the opportunity to ride due to crappy wind only causes frustration. Also, if you buy equipment and it just sits there, that causes frustration.
It's just my opinion, but I tell people all the time (that ask) not to start this time of year unless they are willing to travel. Sub 13 knots sucks for learning, as does 35 to 45 (tropical depression winds). That's all we are most likely to get here real soon for about 4 months.

Long time no hear, Jonathan. Welcome back.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Never been o piney point Is it big enough for a landboard? I am interested in this east bay side downwinder though wher would you recomend launching and landing... maybe apollo bch to bahia? with a quick stop a beer can.
Beach at Piney point is 5 miles long but only a few yards wide = no landboarding!

I would recommend Bahia to Skyway S or vice versa

and
Maybe!?? Apollo bch to bahia bch or vice versa

I think 1st option is better because if you breakdown its easier to walk to the road or get picked up by boat

I 've done the bahia bch SW route a few times on SW and NW winds;;;; its really awesome! about 10-12 miles along the sandbars
Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 AM

Good to be back didnt ever think I was going to see the beach again for a while there..

Nancy I can not offer you as much as these guys but if you go to orlandowatersports.com which is about maybe an hour away from us they have a big cable park that is Alot of fun. I found it easier when taking my lessons because I didnt even worry about the board or my feet, I knew once I was up ridding with a kite I only really had to worry about the kite because I was really conferatable with the board.

Jonathan
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 AM

cable park skills will really help. its great way to get a feel for the sport, though w/ a kite the ride sooooo much smoother. cable park can be kinda brutal sometimes.

i'd def say to go to the water complex and spend a day riding around.

good luck!!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa