FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Arrow UPDATE: Pompano ACCESS

Folks have expressed an interest in holding meetings on the order of once a month for a while as we work to resolve threats to our access. Great news in Pompano but I understand abuses are already being observed with several complaints being called in from our favorite kite spectator yesterday alone. WE NEED TO GET PAST THIS.

Anyway, the next meeting is:

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

7 pm at the Tiki Bar
Oceanpoint Resort
1208 N Ocean Blvd
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
(954) 782-5300

Map and Directions at:
http://tinyurl.com/d8xbnw

We had a great turnout last time, hope to see as many this time too. It is time to start regaining lost ground as opposed to worrying about losing more. Our actions will decide which way things go.

An agenda for the meeting will go up shortly. If you have suggestions please pass them along.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just a reminder about tomorrow nights meeting. Poor riding behaviors are being repeated both in Pompano and LBTS.

1. Riding inside buoyed swim areas.
2. Riding near bystanders, throwing moves too close to shore, beach jumping.
3. Unlicensed, unpermitted teaching

are the main problems.

Also, if it is too light, too onshore, your kite and/or board are too small, you are still working on staying upwind or otherwise are UNABLE to be able make offshore beyond the buoys AND there are nearshore restrictions, then

DON'T RIDE THERE

How much longer are we going to tolerate this as a group? We are paying the price for their indifference and perhaps our own. Time to stand up, bring some consistent, effective PEER PRESSURE to bear on these guys and as a group. If someone is putting your privileges at risk, grab your friends and go talk with the guy as effectively as you can.

Doing nothing is taking a strong position on this serious issue. It basically is a vote to shut us out.

Think about it, hope to get things going in productive directions tomorrow night, with your help.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just got this update from Frank Pelly regarding the situation in Pompano:

Rick,

Access to 13th street has not received final approval, therefore, access to NE 13th street has not been regained. As I mentioned on my last message I asked you to post, the recent approval was the first of what will be two meetings and vote on the ordnance change. I also mentioned that “now that this has been publicized, I would expect some opposition. Everyone needs to be on their best behavior. Eyes of the city and residents will be watching. This can be voted down and we risk loosing our rights if there is a public outcry at the next meeting”.

I was unable to make it to the beach this weekend. Based on your comments below, it seems no one cares that much of we are banned from the city, so I have to question the time I spent over the last 2 years debating with the city officials to continue to allow kiteboarding and expanding the availability of places to launch given the growth. I understand the temptation of going inside the buoys especially when there are waves I’m there! What I do not understand is riding up to the beach, giving lessons and throwing kite loops etc inside the buoys, especially in front of Mcmann’s building. Crazy or not, he has the ear of the Sheriff and the City and they listen to him. It is hard to debate the issue when he comes in with film clips of this taking place and I am negotiating that we can self regulate.

I am not attending the meeting tonight. The last meeting was fun but did not accomplish all that much. It does not seem that this is being taken seriously. If you would like to get together and come up with a comprehensive plan for FLL I would be glad to work on it with you. Like Pompano, we need to keep it simple and not open pandora’s box of registration, fees etc. Hopefully, between now and the next commission meeting in Pompano, there will not be much wind and we can gain the majority vote again. There is one commissioner (who lives on the beach) who is against this but voted along last time. Any public outcry and he will change.

Frank

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

How much more bs are we going to tolerate as a community? The majority of riders don't contribute to this problem, the minority do. Many of those would probably improve with some guidance. Why let a few guys force us off the beach?

I am sorry you won't be there tonight Frank. We appreciate your efforts over all this time. A few guys aren't clued in despite the obvious, something we need to change. At the same time, I believe we did accomplish worthwhile things at the last meeting. Hope to get more done tonight.

It is up to us, our commitment and our actions as a community will decide how this works out.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I want to thank the folks that were able to make the meeting last night. Your creative input and leadership are sincerely appreciated. A lot was accomplished, plans finalized to be proposed to LBTS, issues and solutions in Pompano were discussed, a small laminated card of general kiteboarding rules for handing out in preparation, talked about signage, supporting factors for kiteboarding including demographics along with positive social and financial impacts, adding some committee staff and structure to the FKA to help preserve access throughout the area, ideas to deal with problem kiters, petitions to support the sport and a good deal more. All this in under two hours too. What did I leave out?

Great job folks, still lots to do, thanks for your help and commitment!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-20-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM

Rick... sorry couldnt make the meeting last nite. As a LBTS resident and kiteboarder,
can you expand on any new proposals set forth in the meeting yesterday. I appreciate
your hard work and dedication in keeping our beaches accessible. However, as you
stated previously, I wonder just how much we as the majority will be able to control that
minority of kiters who seem to be determined to ruin it for us all. Just a few days ago,
witnessed a kiter down in front of the Sea Ranch Villas townhomes, doing unhooked raileys
and jumps on the beach with sunbathers present. Then, unable to stay upwind, proceeded
to walk his kite south towards Damons. With the continued problems we are having here and in Pompano, I hope we can limit beginners elsewhere... at least be able to stay upwind.
Hope to see you at the meeting on the 26th.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

We definitely need the presence and support of resident kiters from LBTS at the Commission meeting. I am glad you will be able to make it. Currently, we are looking at three approaches including registration and rule enforcement, either through (1) a private entity, through (2) the township as they proposed five years ago or going with (3) a beach minder, concessionaire or otherwise responsible for sustainable kiting at the beach. Unlicensed instruction is definitely out as it is illegal, the Town has a major issue with it and these folks are firing newbies through bathers on body drags. Need to go somewhere else for that. We are requesting a designated kite operation area as far away from crowds at Damon's as we can achieve. That's it in broad strokes.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi