FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Skyway Scott

Let's not forget this was a one time deal (so far) and that Mike stopped immediately when asked. That's actually why I never even mentioned it. I am confident it will work itself out. No need to get too worked up (yet). If it goes on, I think we should get worked up, though, and I will myself contact Eckerd.

After having said that, I really appreciate all the inputs and concern on this. I am glad so many people care enough to speak out.
I think it will be more clear to Mike and Matt how much responsibilty they have in their roles as instructors and riders and that others listen to them and look up to them and most likely will follow their lead.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Talk it out before you post

This is just my point of view but I think trashing any one individual or group of individuals for something that can be discussed verbally, especially where a club that could easily be shut down is every bit not as cool. These are posts that stay out for any and all to read for an indefinite period of time and could easily get the club shut down should the wrong people read them and misinterpret them.

I 110% agree that riding should not be done near swimmers because it can be a hazard to others, especially where newbs are concerned and that is why Erick, Roy and I rode Bongos where it is less crowded with beach goers yesterday. But basically pointing the finger at a college club instead of calling or sending a PM to a representative of the club and letting them deal with it isn't cool.

Lets get off the drama kick and focus on educating at the beach. We should all be using common sense but if you see bad judgement being used, educate in numbers, have a GROUP of people approach and tell them what courtesy is expected. But lets not point fingers...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM

I do not see this being any issue between individuals nor will it necessarily be solved as such. Personal issues - which seem to spring up on this forum all the time - should be handled privately I agree.

However, this issue potentially effects the entire kiting community here and beyond Tampa Bay.

Scott is one of the most highly respected riders here - and for good reason - he is interested in the common good for all riders. I support Skyways Scott's way of handling it. He has been fair with his information and he has wisely informed people involved and people who have an interest, or who may be effected.

I believe (and Rick I please correct me if I am wrong) that this forum was partially intended to handle issues like this.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM

I agree...Scott, thanks for bringing this important issue up.

I've also been noticing a lot of questionable teaching and riding practices lately, specifically related to riding/lesson location and environment. Anyone reading this forum knows exactly what we are talking about here, which is not to say that everyone reads the forum. So, unfortunately, it is often necessary to confront people at the beach about this - not anyones favorite thing to do when they would rather be riding.

I'm not intending to blow my horn, however if someone is a certified instructor they should be concerned with this type of reckless behaviour, which can lead to being "de-certified". Maybe the fact that some "instructors" are not certified makes them feel that they can do as they please(?). However the situation you describe is blatantly irresponsible any way you look at it.

Anyone teaching, certified or not, needs to set good examples, discourage reckless behavior, influence students to be responsible in order to maintain access, and avoid situations that are prone to accidents. As Scott states - it's not that hard to follow some of these standards. Respect for these issues should start with the first lesson and should be reinforced along the way by the instructor and other riders.

One of my students went to East Beach (after a lesson with me) on a 20+ rider day to watch the action. They were shocked and appalled by what they saw going on there with respect to safety practices, rider etiquette, rider conflicts, uncontrolled draggings, kite-to-kite contact...WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE???? I'd venture to say that all of this is unavoidable and unnecessary. I am convinced that the conduct of many riders is based on the direct influence of their instructor and the people they ride with.

As the rider population increases so does the probability for accidents. There are going to be some very irrate people around here if even ONE of the beaches becomes off-limits due to this sort of thing.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas

Last edited by robertovillate; 04-30-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added comment