FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Default Florida access

Guys/Gals-

Read this post about Tiki beach. I am sure you also have seen the conflict at Honeymoon. It is only a matter of time before it happens at other spots. Just a heads up - please continue to self regulate our spots as much as possible.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.p...57360&p=597073

Tony
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Default sarasota crew doing their part ....

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8337
Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 PM

We are so in trouble if we don't do something. I fear for the future of this sport because clearly what we are currently doing is just delaying the inevitable.

I saw some of the kookiest shit yet at East Beach Friday.

No details here but this was obvious...

1. All the training in the world can't replace common sense
2. When the temperature drops 15 degrees in seconds, flag your kite
3. Alot of current safety systems on the market don't work when the wind hits 45mph, so don't let it get to that point, otherwise you will have to likely ditch the kite.

The bummer is, after watching a full blown rescue situation go down, and then approaching the folks involved about their stupid choice to ride in a violent storm, they had the balls to say "why don't you just leave man". Yeah, I am the one that needs to leave. Me!!!! I should get the hell out of the park. WOW!!!!!

So what did I do??? I left. It was raining.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Default Florida access

I saw two guys tring to fly a 12m Fuel in a public park yesterday( the kite was a few years old, the safety system was an outside line running through the small holes in the end of the bar) the wind was very light witch was a blessing, When I was walking up to the guy trying to fly the kite I heard him shout to his buddy (who was trying to launch him from directly downwind by throwing the kite up) that they needed more wind. I told the guy that he was lucky because if there was more wind he would proboably be hurt by now.

The amazing thing is this guy told me he had done an "academic" part of a kiteboarding lesson and was aware that it could be dangerous, he also told me he did other dangerous things like riding motorcycles and atv,s........ "CLUELESS"

Anyhow ,I gave him a card and told him to call me in 3 months when the season starts and that I would help him out and walked away.

The point I am making is that as an experienced kiter, I feel a responsibility to approach someone who does not know what they are doing, or who is acting irresponsibly and to let them know what they are doing "wrong". After I have done this , if they are receptive to help or idea,s I will do what I can to help, but if they are rude or just plain idiots, I will turn my back on them , walk away and let my fellow kiters know my concerns re. them.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 AM

If you are genuinely upset Steve-O, you are in a position to get some stuff done.
You could get a sign out at EB for starters. Since EB is a central meeting point for many, just having some simple recommendations in writing on a sign, agreed to by most a few years ago, would do more than I think many of you realize. It would help to instill some basic standards in people's heads. It's possible these reminders would stick in people's heads at other riding areas.

Also, having an agreement among all local instructors about what standards they promise to hold -themselves- in regards to riding behavior in an effort to be proactive role models would be even more valuable. Most of the instructors follow some simple guidelines already (a few don't). Things as simple as staying 100 feet offshore, wearing a leash, not launching/landing in crowded areas. Nothing too stringent.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to get the sign out at EB. At the very least it's a symbolic gesture of actually taking a step. Then, I would get the WSW instructors to agree to some simple standards. I would have them agree to it on here. Hopefully they will actually practice what they agreed to.
You never know, maybe it will affect some change.

I know this for sure, not doing it won't affect anything.

So if you are genuinely concerned and not just venting, those are some proactive steps that have been suggested repeatedly over the years for the instructors/role models to tackle. I am not saying you do nothing, btw. But I do feel that those suggestions have the most bang for buck, if carried out.

I personally just enjoy each day as I can and don't worry much about this anymore.
I realized (and gave into) the idea of loss of access being inevitable 2 years ago.
What affected my decision the most was witnessing a void in proactive actions among some guys "that matter". Many guys that matter do a great job. But, some still don't (on a state wide basis) and these guys actions (imo) seem to over ride everyone else's. Once a few guys start jumping boats/piers and slashing 5 feet from kids... well... hell... I may as well rip 50 feet away. That seems safe (get it?). Actually responsible is a far better word. Safety smafety. I am more concerned about being responsible toward fellow citizens.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.
If we are honest about it, this stuff just doesn't matter to 95% of riders, and what will be will be. This is SO obvious to anyone paying attention.
So I wouldn't go stressing too much.

But if some agreements are made on signs or on here, I (and I suspect many) will follow them in a heartbeat and feel good about it. Some won't.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-07-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Can anyone share the details of this incident for the beneft of everyone as to what NOT to do?

I personally was at Indian rocks by myself contemplating whether to launch or not...actually it was pretty obvious that I shouldn't have...I didn't and moments later there was a giant wind spike 35+ and a wind shift from SW to NW. Is this when it happened at east beach?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Danny,

It is pretty simple. Big huge dark cloud line marching towards you. Goes from sunny to down right scary. Wind starts to pick up, time to put up a kite right????

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig and I sat there for 30 minutes, looking at radars, realizing that going out is pointless. He left, and about 20 minutes after that, well......a dude flies off the beach and into the water for a solo session.

The insane part of watching this all unfold, is another guy pulls up, and starts to rig. This guy is getting worked, ditches kite, full on rescue situation and this other guy is rigging. I drive over before I leave and say "your not going out right????" He says, "well I can't even get my kite to sit down, I can't tell which way the wind is coming" I looked in sarcasm and said "shouldn't that be a good sign not to go?" He was actually thinking about going. WOW!!!!

In this situation, a sign wouldn't have made a difference. But I do believe a sign is a good idea.

Use radars, look at the sky, observe changes in the weather. Take a moment to access your conditions. Wind direction, speed, weather....basic fundamental stuff.

With that said, there was lighting a few weeks ago out there, and we all came in. With it still thundering and lightning, a guy walks up to me and Craig and ask if we think its ok to head out. While asking the question, there is thunder sounding. We said "there is your answer." After walking around for 5 more minutes he launcehs. I am wrapping things up with a student and another guy ask me to launch him. I respectfully declined. A good lesson for my student, that you are not obligated to launch someone.

So I left those 3 riding in an electrical storm. I drove off wondering what if something happens. You just have to move on and live your life. You can't control others. Millions of people everywhere are self destructing in one way or another. Some just want to get there sooner I guess.

It sounds shallow, but when I see someone do something that may harm them, but not cause others harm, I really don't care. That is there choice. I can only do so much.

On a gear/safety note....after talking with the guy, his safety failed him. He used his O-Shit line which for a Flexi is attached to the end of the bar. The kite just looped and was too much power to deal with. After a few death loops, had to eject. Alot of kites would have behaved like that. These O-shit handles attached to the end of the bar work fine under normal winds, but really don't work when it starts really nuking. So don't rely on those to get you out if you think weather might dish out some crazy wind. If I were riding a Flexi, I would ride it 5 line just for that reason. Just so stoked to see that some manufactures are starting to address this issue with SLE safety systems. Best has the Redline, Cabrinha IDS, SS has the below bar safety, and I am sure there are others. Hopefully it will be a standard just like a QR.

Last edited by Steve-O; 06-07-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

I may have missed it, but to add. Danny, yes... the winds weren't just strong.. they went (and stayed for about an hour) at NW when it picked up. NW at East Beach is offshore. That's a big deal and really should be stressed.
I was just up the street at St. Pete beach riding with Eric when it came through. We obviously hopped off the water prior to it coming in. You could see it coming from miles away.
I sort of doubt you need to "learn what to avoid" from this Danny. I am sure it's already obvious to you.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Default wow!

getting crazy!! is that the asian type dude with the old school slingshot GTO?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Its like listen to a cd skip... This stuff happens at E.B. all the time ... And after the fact, you guys talk about what can be done to stop it .....Nothing you do or say is going to stop these unsafe kiters.. Sign or no sign... Talking to them isn't going to change there habits... The only thing that makes me happpy is they seem to migrate to E.B. Exactly why I dont ride there !!! Do whatever you can to police them because we dont want them riding anywhere else !!!! They belong there ....