FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
It's been crazy wind for sure. Each of the last 3 days at about 1pm has gone to 18-20 or so until about 4pm. Pretty unreal for the summer.

The fastest currents we get down here occur at Egmont Key and hover around 4 knots at their peak during new/full moons. That's crazy fast water.

6 to 9 knots must be a Florida record. I wouldn't want to break down in that.
It is the fastest I have seen here. All of the sand they dredged up has moved into the pass and it is necked down pretty tight right now. Couple of days ago we had the boat anchored just on the edge of the sand bar and the pass waiting for the wind to fill in, the current was screaming. It was hot so we took a swim. None of us could swim fast enough to stay with the boat, we could bearly stand up in knee deep water. So Hank says let's water ski. We hooked up the ski rope to the anchored boat and took turns trying to ride on the glide behind the anchored boat. Wasn't pretty.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
Of course, content is still king, and your site has tons of it.
If given a choice, I personally would rather get info than look at something pretty. Example - http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/
Opposite example (lack of meaningful content... but arranged to look important) http://www.tmz.com/

okay, end of social commentary.
Agreed, but what is content if its not organized in a manner to leverage it?? Correct?

BTW great job on the site steve, real impressed, good content, well organized too!

Danny
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks Danny! The hardest part was not building the site, it was getting everything moved from SlowDaddy to a real host (Siteground).I had to remove a lot of stuff that got messed up in the transfer. There's definitely a lot of tweaking left to do, re-adding content, and editing it all down, but at least now I can see the darn site to work on it!
The Classroom portion is phase two, and was about 50% complete before I totally trashed it. A few instructors and exp. kiters are going to work together on rebuilding it, and it should be a great tool for everyone in the near future.
Other funny stuff:
100% built in Internet Explorer (yeah,yeah, I know..) (I had to wait 5-15 seconds between clicks, every step of the way, I thought it was Joomla that was moving so slow! (With all the issues I had I was a little nervous about trying anything different.)
Today is the first day I am really using Firefox and its at least 300% faster and the site is actually a lot "crispier" looking. The next site will be a cakewalk....
*I highly recommend IE users switching to Firefox! Scott has told me that several thousand times, now I know why...

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 07-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Danimal,

No doubt, content together with "look and functionality" can't be beat.

NPR is a good example of good layout and content (not saying I agree with the content, btw). I was just making the point that (imo) 99.9% of internet info is total crap, regardless of appearance, and that I would take content over looks any day

Also saying Steve has a lot of (useful... not talking twitter tweeter) content. That's pretty rare on most sites.