FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM
<jason

Question Waroo 13m or Era 12m....?

Hey guys..
Alright i will be able to swing one of these kites at the end of dec. They are within 100.00 of each other complete...i need the best lowend at 215lbs..are these to small...what do you guys think?
Btw i was at eb yesterday around 1:00 everyone looked awesome..!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 AM

The new Best Waroo 08 is insane..so stable just a great kite.....you can't beat such a huge company to deal with..good warranty!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 AM

No doubt get the ERA 14. For as much light wind as we get around here you'll miss way too many days with the 13 or 12. The 14M ERA is faster than the 13M roo and pulls better than the 15M. If money is a huge factor you might still find a smoking deal on a 07 15M roo.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 AM

are you buying the kite as your biggest? or just your go to kite????
Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 AM
<jason

go to kite for sure...
Come tax season i may be able to pickup a used 07 bigger or smaller if needed...
But surely want my go to kite to be the best one...know what i mean...
Id sure love to get a quiver of new kites....but not going to happen.... Thanks for everyones help...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Tom Stock

Tough call... between the two I would guess the 13 08 waroo (NOT THE 07) would be better.

Mainly because Best has better service and if you don't like it you can return it (regardless of condition) no questions asked within 30 days.

At 215 you may need the extra meter anyway.

I've only ridden the 9m 08 (which I can ride in 20 at 190lbs), not the 13m so I am not sure of the high and low end of the 13.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 AM

for a goto kite take the 13 roo, i had the 07 and could ride it from 12knots to 25knots with two boards and im 205lbs (basically a 1 kite quiver for 85% of our wind), pre thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM
<jason

Default good info ...

thanks for all the advice...really helpfull
i guess the roo is the kite...just have to get my wife to except it;-) ...she thinks the era is much better looking... oh well.. thanks... _J-
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Skyway Scott

I think these might be some guesses, as no one has demoed the 13m 08 Waroo yet (have you guys?).
The 9m Waroo is awesome, imo.
That doesn't guarantee the larger sizes will be good though.
It seems to me most companies struggle to nail their larger kites.

At your size, Jayson, I wouldn't consider the 12m Era, I would be thinking 14m. Unless you already have a larger kite you like and are going to keep.
Chris Bigger rode his most of the day yesterday (with exception of testing his 10m Era out for a half hour). It was gusting easily to the low 20's. It was a piece of cake for him to ride the 14. 25 is pushing it as his/my size though.
Myself and Bob ride the 14 in the low 20's as well. We weigh about 50 or more pounds less than you.

I think our winds fall into 3 main types of days -
We either have winds like yesterday (15 -22) or have sub 15, or have 25 to 35+. My point is, a 14m will work for a larger guy (yeah, you might be approaching top end at 25) for 2 out of the 3 types of winds we get here.
Then, if it's 25 plus, you would probably ride a 10m (maybe smaller.... ? ).
The 12m might be a 'tweener kite that you don't ride much, or more of a luxury for nailing those days that do stay right at 20 all day (never seen one )

The 12m would leave you wishing you had a bigger kite a lot of the time, I think. Also, at 25 plus, it'd most likely be too much.
At my size, I have a 15m then drop all the way down to 9m.
The low ends on a lot of the newer kites are quite phenomenal.
My size doesn't hurt in being able to ride a 9m in 16 knots on my small board, either.
That's free advice, so take it as that. I could be totally off. I have just been watching Russky on his 15m Sonic ALL the friggin' time and it's left an impression on me.
The Era is cool looking. Especially BLACK...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I would also go with the bigger kite. I am 245 lbs and ride my 16M Thruster in almost EVERYTHING. Anything from 15 to 30 (no exaggeration, the guys out here can attest to that although not advisable as it was pushing the kites' limits). As Bayflite would say, all kites rock and though I do not have any direct experience on either kite, I am sure they are both great kites. I will, however suggest being a larger guy as well that you go with a bit of a larger size. I guess go with a 14M kite for your size is what I am trying to say. You can always then pick up a 10M or so for high winds and/or a 16M once you have the cash for extremely light wind. Bayflite can help with a good price on a Waroo, just PM him. Emerald Coast Kiteboarding or Ocean Extreme Kites can also help with either brand. I hope this helps...

Last edited by toby wilson; 11-27-2007 at 02:07 PM.