FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Skyway Scott

After reading this, it does sound like bands will most be most useful for most riders. I suggest (the obvious) make them very bright and have the colors substantially different from one another, maybe bright red and bright yellow.
Oh, please don't have us wear some 80's "Staying Alive, John Travolta" arm band, please.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Skyway Scott

Anyone remember the Ultimate Warrior? He combined wrist bands an arm tassles which when used in the proper combination, made you look like a true bad ass

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
There are two concerns that I hear.
1. Identifying someone on the beach that isn't with their kite.
2. Identifying someone on the water and their ability.

Like stated before, a newbie can be spotted a mile away when on the water, but not necessarily when setting up their kite and preparing to launch.
Why not attach this band or ribbon to the back of one's harness. Most of us walk around the beach with our harness on anyways, even when we're taking breaks. Seems to me like that would be a more suitable location for this indicator...whatever it may be. You'll see it when the kites are down and you'll see it when people are flying. 2 birds...1 stone
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Yes, let's try to keep this thread on track. Let's review the goal.

Identify experienced vs. inexperienced riders.
Use the identification system to keep launch sites safer.

Secondary goal
Utilize instructors to monitor our launch sites for dangerous situations.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 PM
popeye

Since non profit orgs can still profit and employees can still take a salary it's possible someone misinterpreted your promotion and membership fees as you pushing your own agenda.

Obviously this is not the case. You are trying through your org to provide insurance, etc, to instructors and riders and that is respectable cause.

For now, to prevent confusion, lets just focus on a method for identifying new and experienced riders, and try to get instructors to enforce/use the system.

That's really what this thread, and the meeting this weekend is about.

We are trying to prevent another accident.

Maybe someone else could talk to Randy again later (after a system is developed) and see he'd be ok with just giving the bracelets to his new riders. Once he sees the system in use he may change his mind.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I want nothing to do with any of this.
i guess you wont be getting a wrist band then.... you'll be a newbie for life...
J/K
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Skyway Scott

I will gladly wear the band and abide by agreed upon rules.
I'd just assume leave the rest up to others to avoid being entangled in anything.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 PM

Ive been trying to find something for this ID band/card/thingy..

went to west marine to see if they have any Hi-Vis clip-on tags or something similar.. I really think something that simply attaches to the back of your harness is the best that way you dont have to deal with the wrist band every time..

Something that might attach with a locking carabiner... definitely dont want this to catch on any lines or something like that..

maybe just a simple hi-vis laminated card attached to the harness w/ a carabiner.. something small but visible..

If we want to get more official we could probably get some custom made plastic tags that we could attach to our harnesses with a fancy logo or something on it..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Streamers, wrist bands, tags and stickers have been used in various parts of the world. I would choose something that is easily visible, unique, non-divisible and readily breaks away if tangled by a powered up kite.

People can be pretty strange about this sort of thing given that they exist solely as a rule to allow them to continue to ride. Guys have counterfeited stuff, cut streamers in two to share with friends, etc.. I wouldn't get too obsessed about making it totally inviolate but would consider some past problems along the way toward putting together what you will.

Important point, I second the sentiments about doing something. It is easy to have things die in committee with the problem still remaining. So, figure out the minimum needed, what seems to be fair and reasonable and do it.

Good luck

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-24-2007, 05:40 PM

With the meeting set for Saturday, I will not be able to attend due to obligations at the shop. Sat. is a busy day for us.

I think my stance has been clear. I am in support of an identification system. I do want it to be easy and effective. The less red tape the better. I also support the rotation of an instructor watch at East Beach and other spots if needed.

As this week has developed, I want to be clear that I have no preference for Randy teaching at the Skyway. If he feels he can conduct a safe lesson there, which he has hundreds of times, then that is HIS choice. I can respect that. I know Randy has assisted numberous new riders throughout the years at the Skyway regardless of who they were. His heart is always in the right place. It is however my choice not to teach there for my own reasons.

As far as new students returning to the Skyway to ride backside or frontside, that is an interesting debate that may just be that....a debate. I do feel that place can feel very crowded and not leave much room for a new rider to navigate there very well. That issue may not be resolved. All I can do is recommend that any new rider I teach not travel to either side of the Skyway until they are at an intermediate level of riding skill. Those that do so take their chances.

If a system develops that suggests new riders to stay clear of the Skyway area until there skills are up, I definately support that.

Looking forward to how the meeting goes. Wish I could be there.

I have heard Randy does not want any part of this, but as someone in the center of it all, I sincerely hope he will at least listen to all of our concerns.