FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM

Cool

If the red (watch out) wristband idea is to be used, here's a few thoughts. instead of explaining to the new riders that they are dangerous, spin it into a positive thing and tell them that their color signifies a new rider who can be monitored by experienced riders in case they get into trouble. For those that say "i'm fine" or whatever, then we can take a bit harsher tone and explain that in order to keep our awesome launches, the local community has agreed upon these rules (on board) and if you choose not to comply, find another launch (very nicely and using better verbage of course).

FYI. i looked into the promotions catalog that i have and there are four things that stood out.

1. the lance armstrong type bracelet : 99 cents per bracelet but a minimum of 300...i'm sure we could get them in a smaller quantity somewhere else, but this is a good reference. they come in many colors including glow in the dark (hello night ride!!!) and rainbow for e-bone.

2. The party bracelets that we have all worn to get into bars, clubs, etc. They are disposable so people won't have to remember to bring them and they come to 28 cents a piece for 500. 15 colors to choose from.

3. neoprene wrist bands (reusable obviously) at 1.60/bracelet with a minimum of 100. this one comes in hot pink for ebone and chamo for roy (to go with the rest of his gear of course)

4. They make plastic luggage tags that are colored that can easily be put onto the back of someone's harness (or somewhere out of the way) they range from 1.38/piece for 250 to more simple ones for 79 cents for 250. They both are about the size of a standard business card and come with a rubber strap to attach to you, your luggage, etc.

If anyone has other ideas for identification of riders (the luggage tag could be really great because you could put your name and emergency contact right in there (where you'd put your name on an airplane).

I'm 100% in agreement about the signs. I think that as the season progresses we will be running into trouble and may need to implement the next step in the action plan which would be the braclets, tags, etc. and it would be nice to already have a product picked out instead of rushing around looking for a piece of duct tape to strap to my forehead saying i'm a yellow.

As a former certified watersports instructor (still certified by the way but OBVIOUSLY not for kiting i think that the instructors working together can bring so much to this sport/community. I am really looking forward to the things they come up with and their dedication to safe and happy riding. High five to the instructors that are comitted to this.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Default the rules

some people may not be happy about it but i think one of the rules should include that if you are kiting, your dogs should be leashed to your car, a tree, etc. if you are there to watch them, that's great. i love letting my dogs run in the water too, but if i'm on the water, they become nothing but a liability and in many cases, a nuisance.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Flaccid Member

Just a reference to other signs that have been used in other places:

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3038
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
popeye

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
popeye

Scott's idea is pretty good.

I think this is a GREAT opportunity for Kite4Life/TritonKiteboarding/WSW to get the instructors together and ENCOURAGE COOPERATION regarding safety at our spots.

1) Passing out beginner bands to new students and upgrading it to a another color when they have more experience.

2) Beginner bands ride at East Beach but not at the skyway.

3) An instructor at each location to encourage safe riding practice.

If Jim the head ranger showed up at East Beach and saw that we had a system of instructors who are volunteering to help and encourage safety i am sure he would be impressed.

The instructors would naturally benefit from the contact with riders.

This seems opportunity for kite4life/Triton/WSW to make a positive impact on the sport.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Kite-4-Life and Triton Kiteboarding are in the works of organizing signs and a band system. We are using the suggestions from this thread to base our decisions. We will have a meeting this weekend with a number of instructors agree on a final decision about what should be mentioned in signs and how the band system will work, the progress will be updated on the forum and if anyone has any questions call me and i'll fill you in 203 918 6637. We realize the importance and the urgency and were handling the issue asap.
-Matt Sexton
www.TritonKiteboarding.com
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM

i think this sign is a must have
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Scott,

I like your suggestion. Armbands are a good idea. Instructors will need to make the call when to upgrade them to a self-sufficient rider. I am sure we can get together and hash out the details of that. Simple enough. It will take some time but we have about a month left before the winds really start coming. It may take a little time thorughout the season to iron out the kinks, but overall a great idea.

All other riders in the area that are self sufficient will ride with a seperate color right???? Remember, we need to clearly be able to identify a non locals or locals that shows up, is having problems, and no arm band. Think about it, someone approaches you to launch their kite....you don't recognize them....you look for an armband....they don't have one...it sparks a conversation. Maybe you put them up after they convince you they are sufficient....but you still keep a watchful eye. Maybe you don't. Your judgement may then stem a variety of scenerios after that. But at least you had some info before even launching the kite. It may not work 100% but it is definately better than the system we have.

Ok back to the topic of instructor volunteering....

Keeping a watchful eye and doing a rotation I also think will be simple enough to coordinate. Someone will have to be in charge to make sure their is coverage. If all the instructors agree, then I am sure we can come up with a schedule of rotation. I know Matt and his crew from Triton spend alot of time down there. My team doesn't, but I am not saying we can't have a representative when it's our turn. I don't feel the burden should be left to Matt just because he is there alot.

Steve S. and myself will try to spearhead a meeting soon to put something together. Those that want to be involved will. Those that won't won't. Hopefully the kiting community will support those instructors and schools that want to make this happen.

Signs signs....yes let's make some freakin signs already. It's long overdue. It can't hurt. We (the instructors) can get the armband thing going and the coverage. The veterans out there need to continue to discuss the signs and get something to happen. We are so close to this being a reality. We should set a deadline for Oct. 1. I think that is a reasonable timeframe for both projects. If we can send Billy to Cabarete in less than a week, we can pull this off in a month.

I think all those that give input, keep an eye on the big picture.

Signs.....yes!
Armbands....yes!
Instructor watchouts....yes!

Let's not get bogged down by all the details.

I would like to elect Steve S. to be in charge of the instructor meeting. He brought it up, and I would like to see him see it through. I will assist in this area.

Amber seems hot on the armbands. Let's figure out what we want, how much it will cost, and where the funds will come from. I will hit Steve LeVine and WSW and see what he can contribute. Maybe some kite companies can sponser the concept. If we gotta raise funds than we gotta raise it.

Jayson seems to be hot on the sign area. Maybe he can spearhead that. Again content, cost, constructions, and red tape.

Let the ideas flow, let's try not to re-invent the wheel. This could be a hard undertaking, but let's not let it.

We will keep you guys posted about the instructor meeting and how that all pans out.

Steve-O
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Matt...just saw your post. Let's get together this weekend. Where and what time. I am free on Sunday. I think we are on the same page with this.

Let's talk soon!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM

I like where this is heading. This will def. keep us in the good graces of most officials. Steve-O....if we wanted to try and make this a county-wide kiteboarding system I would be willing to handle north county. I just don't ride south as much as I do up here. Keep up the good work guys.