FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM
popeye

I also like where this is going.

Good work guys... and hats off to everyone who contributed ideas to this thread.

The last post from Kite4Life+Triton and Steve-O pretty much nailed what we are trying to accomplish.

We have enough instructors that it should be easy to rotate... and we really only need them at the most common spots (EB and Skyway). No reason they can't ride too if they have someone else with them to keep an eye on whats going on while they are riding.

We probably only need two colors (newb and self sufficient) unless the instructors want to wear their own color (not a bad idea).

If this system is implemented and we have an accident, we can honestly show that we do everything in our power to promote safety .. and that could make the difference between a ban and just an unfortunate accident.

That said, I don't think there is anything else I can so I am out of this thread so you guys can get some work done.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Arm Bands

Just got off the phone with Steve LeVine owner of WSW. He will contribute $100.00 to the purchase of armbands.

I think the rubbery kind will work best and easiest to see.

Amber are those the Armstrong kind???

When folks are done riding they can put it around their rear view mirror until the next session.

I like the idea of 3 colors. 1 color for self sufficient riders. 1 color for new riders. 1 color for instructors.

I think we can divide the armbands amongst the instructors of the area and they can get them passed out to the appropriate level of rider.

I am sure this will be an ongoing process. We just need to keep it simple.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool. Just a couple more suggestions, some of which have already been stated.

It's such a minor detail and I don't want it to bog stuff down, but ribbons on the kite lines at about 20 feet up have a few advantages.

One, you aren't likely to forget your ribbon, once it is on your lines, it's part of your equipment. I am oh so likely to honestly forget the arm band, that I bet I wouldn't have it one most of the time out of bad memory. I see us going thru a larger number of arm bands (lost, forgotten) than ribbons.

The ribbon can be also be seen from a further distance and from every direction, as well.

It might be advantageous to just focus on EB for the first couple of months, in terms of the signs and the instructor watch-outs, to make sure one area is "kick ass" with coverage instead of several all being "so-so". EB is a "hot spot" for new riders, so to me, this makes sense.

I think a little cooperation from a large number of people is going to go an awful long ways to insuring kiting safety and fun.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM
popeye

I don't care for the ribbons... I'd rather see one consistent indicator. But that doesn't mean I am against the idea either.

If you forget your arm band it's your own problem... a bunch of people are going to keep asking you if you know what you are doing and encourage you not to ride at the skyway After a day of that you won't forget it next time lol.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Ribbons are cool. I think they will be cheaper too. What is everyone else's thoughts. Something to hammer out at the meeting. I just think that it will be something up for discussion and hopefully everyone will support the outcome.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Skyway Scott

I will go with whatever the majority vote is.
Thing is, I am moderately certain that the ability to see the wrist band when upwind of someone will be exceptionally marginal. No biggie, we can always switch one for the other.
Just getting it in motion is what counts.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
popeye

If someone is about to catch or launch my kite I'd rather see a wrist band than guess which kite which belongs to them.

But I guess the instructors can sort this stuff out.

Last edited by popeye; 08-23-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 PM

I can usually spot a newbie in two seconds once they are on the water. I need help telling if some one has a clue on the beach, and thats where questions need to be asked.

It would be nice to have some indicator out on the water that a rider not only can go upwind, but they understend right of way or they're not going to jump right in front of you.

I'm kind of cheap so I was thinking of using extra wide colored rubber bands they are cheaper than armstong type and they don't have them on the counter at the gas station.
http://www.rubberband.biz/custom.htm
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Ok some great dialogue. It only seems from a few, but I am sure more are reading just not commenting.

There are two concerns that I hear.
1. Identifying someone on the beach that isn't with their kite.
2. Identifying someone on the water and their ability.

I feel that the armband concept would be an immediate indicator as soon as someone gets out of the car and starts to set up. It is something that everyone can see and look out for. Again prevention is what we are aiming for. The lack of an arm band would signal a discussion before someone even launches their kite. It may stop a problem before it even starts or at the very least allows for some healthy discussion of the rider in question. I think most new riders will admit their inexperience, but if asked to leave and go to East Beach may be tricky. We'll have to see how it works. We won't know until we try. Everyone should be sensitive to anyone in question.

Like stated before, a newbie can be spotted a mile away when on the water, but not necessarily when setting up their kite and preparing to launch.

I think the armband is the way to go as it covers prevention and shows a unified effort right on the beach. Something that will go a long way when a discussion is brought up with a rider in question. Imagine a new rider being confronted and as they are being spoken with they see all these armbands on other riders. It will be a lot harder for that rider to show resistance.

Again, I think we will have to go with an idea and see how it works. I am certain we will have to tweak it as time passes.

Your thoughts on this are welcome as I am sure some type of decision will be made this Saturday.

By the way.......are we having a race this year?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
popeye

Steve-O, sounds good. I agree with everything you said. Looking forward to seeing how this works out. If we keep it simple, I think it will.