FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Howard Park officially closed!

Well the day has finally come. Howard Park causeway is closed for construction.

It is in the near future that droves of windsurfers will be crowding the already crowded launch of Sunset Park just south of Howard.

At the shop we have been communicating as much as we can to both kiters and windsurfers on the upcoming season and sharing a tight space.

For windsurfer:
1. Launch and ride upwind of kitesurfers. (should be easy as windsurfers like deeper water)
2. Do not assist a kiter in the water with a kite down. Stay upwind and stay clear. (With the shallow water, it is easy to self rescue and walk back to the beach)
3. If you do find yourself tangled in lines, jump off the board, get under the sail, and wait for the kiter to untagle everything. (that sounds like a mess)
4. Use as much of the park to rig your gear.
5. Do not assist a kiter with launching and landing unless you have been trained in kiteboarding.

For kiter:
1. Launch and ride downwind of windsurfers (should be easy as kiters like shallow water)
2. Consider launching a distance from shore so a failed launch doesn't end up in the parking lot and scare windsurfers into a ban (windsurfers are used to seeing kites in the water, but no one likes a kite crashed on land)
3. On a crowded day, keep lines rolled up even if for a short break. Stack kites close together on beach as not to take up lots of space.
4. Identify weak, untrained, and dangerous kiters and don't launch them until they get the proper training and show respect.
5. Accidents happen on launches, so remember, space is the ultimate savior in these times of intense crowds and tense windsurfers.

Some kiters have chosen to simply steer clear of Sunset until Howard opens back up. Not a bad move. Some want to hold their ground. I can respect that for sure. The spot is absolutely sick. That whole area up there is untapped territory IMO. Butter flat water for 100+ miles. Planning an incredible downwinder this season....more on that later.

Brian May and myself are working on a flyer to pass around to both parties to get everyone on the same page. I expect some flares on crowded days, but if kiters play their cards right and use safe kiting practice that we all know but don't use as much as we should (including myself) then windsurfers shouldn't have much to complain about.

Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Steve-O,

I think you nailed this one. I think that no matter what happens out there, us kiters need to keep our heads in any situation that may involve controversy.

We are the ones at risk for a ban there, not the wind surfers, so I would remind everyone to play it cool this season at every launch, not just sunset park.

Danny
Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM

I vote for 'boat-pooling' to ride to the barrier islands. More fun out there anyways. If everyone pitches in $$, the boat owners might make some beer $$!

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 AM

WSW is going to sponsor a kite/wind surfing barbecue up at Sunset. Would be a good chance for everyone to get to know each other and discuss concerns.

I am always trying to fill my boat. Feel free to get my number out there to the Sunset crew.

727-542-8022
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
WSW is going to sponsor a kite/wind surfing barbecue up at Sunset. Would be a good chance for everyone to get to know each other and discuss concerns.

I am always trying to fill my boat. Feel free to get my number out there to the Sunset crew.

727-542-8022
SWEET! When is the picnic, we were gonna have one in a few weeks anyways!

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM

I think a BBQ at Sunset would be a great way to smooth over the transition. Good idea. The kiter/windsurfer relationship up here is already a good one. We just need to keep it that way. The BBQ might calm down the very few that seem to puff there chests when they see a kite at Sunset. One thing is for sure, I'm not gonna stop riding there...