FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Help Dirk Hanel enter the Red Bull Storm Chase

"Hey guys,

i really need to get your help . it is 24 more hours and then the polls for the voting of the red bull storm chase will be closed. it is an extreme windsurf competition but i am also allowed with the kite. it is man against nature just to get the sickest footage in a big storm.

now i need ot get your votes to get me in there.

please vote for Dirk Hanel at the following link:

http://www.redbullstormchase.com/rid...ltic-sea-east/

or if this does not work go to www.redbullstormchase.com at vote now and then Germany baltic sea east and vote for DIRK HANEL

you need to contribute your email to receive a voting code which you can cope paste into the field above to vote.

please pass this link also on to your friends to gather more votes. at the moment it is about 20 votes in order to make 1 % so i think with the help of all of you it should be easy to catch up to the two windsurfers on top i really hope you help me out to get some sick action on this video!!!

thanks and see you out there

dirk"
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Help Dirk Hanel enter the Red Bull Storm Chase

Everyone deserves a dream and a chance at reaching it. I hope Dirk reaches his and stays healthy and whole in the process. Still, sending out the proper example and message has a role in this as well.

For so many years some have been trying to fight the perception that kiters are OK going out in storms. So many guys have died and been maimed in excessively gusty winds already.

Roughly 67% of the fatalities have happened in excessively gusty winds.
Roughly 42% were known to have happened in squalls.

The most experienced guys are the ones most at risk. 80% had from 2 to 4 years plus kiting experience.
Our most experienced riders SHOULD NOT be the ones with the highest casualty rate if things are working the way they should be. At least not by such a large margin.
For every fatality there are MANY more non-fatal, serious injuries which is the true point of this.

Quite a few are or were extremely experienced, e.g. former olympic windsurfing champion, pro kiteboarder, patriarch of kiteboarding instruction in a region of the USA, an extremely experienced waterman, windsurfer and kiteboarders and on and on.

Kites are ill suited to excessively gusty winds. Hopefully, there is little doubt about C kites at this point in stormy conditions in the minds of the majority of riders. Even flat kites can kick your butt particularly if something goes wrong. A very long list of things have gone wrong, some several times in my time and that of quite a few others in kitesurfing. It is just the way it is. Counting on things work perfectly in extreme conditions is a poor risk in lessor conditions in my experience. Storm conditions, delivering gusts to 50 to 60 kts. plus up from next to nothing at times, violent and rapid direction changes and reversals, heavy seas. Bad idea for most riders.

Good luck Dirk, in all ways.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi