FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
tog0713

Default Best Beaches on North Winds??

Am new to St. Petersburg from Chicago living now in Kenwood section. On North winds lately have driven up to Indian Rocks. Looking at Google Maps I see that Pass A Grille beach runs North/South as does the beach just to the North of the fishing pier in Ft. DeSoto. In this regard, would appreciate some local knowledge on which beach holds the best waves and steadiest wind on big North days. I like waves and can get to Ft. DeSoto and Pass A Grille much easier than driving all the way to Indian Rocks...

If there are any restrictions or local customs at either of these two places, I'd appreciate a heads up....

Thanks in advance and regards,
Tim Grossnickle
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Tim are you still flying PL arcs?..............aj
Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Go to North Beach in Ft. Desoto - it is at the opposite end from East Beach. Take a right instead of a left at the flagpole. Great place on a North with nice waves.

Tony
Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM

if you want to kite on a north wind, you can either kite south skyway, or head north to indian rocks beach. north beach is decent but still really gusty IMO.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 AM
tog0713

Default Thanks for Local Knowledge

Thanks for replies on my question on best beaches on North winds. Think I'll try North Beach at Ft. De Soto. Am still flying Peter Lynn Arc's which handle gusts well and may suit the wind over land conditions there...

Regards,
Tim
Old 10-31-2009, 07:34 AM

If I might add, from observations over the years. As a general "rule".. the winds when due N are better the further North you go, such as IRB, early in the day.

I don't know why, but at North Beach the winds when due North commonly die out at 9 am, then come back (more NNW or NW) at 20 plus after 2pm or so. This happened the last time it started N (two Saturdays ago), and is very common. So, I wouldn't rush out to NB early... and never do.

Due N is the worst direction for the St. Pete area, imo. That direction can't "make up it's mind" in St. Pete and is constantly shifting from NNE to N to NNW and gusty (as Sam said), early in the day. I usually just hope it stabilizes more NW later in the day.
So seems better up North on a due N early, or wait and hope it shifts NW for St. Pete later, is my take.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 10-31-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
tog0713

Default North Wind Strategy....

Bob,

Thanks much for your local knowledge comments on North winds better in the morning at IRB. This matches my limited experience kiting in St. Pete area. It also makes sense to me about the gustiness of North winds at Ft. De Soto which must come overland before hitting the beach there.

Based on your local knowledge I think I'll just have to drive to IRB in the mornings or wait for the North winds to shift more West later in the day...

Best regards,
Tim
Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM

No prob.