FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Skyway Scott

Chris, any idea how much beach they are adding?
Launching out there, at least along the beach, was always a little tricky.
I haven't been out there in at least a year, I imagine it's worse now.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

I have been looking for plans on the development so I have no clue yet.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Skyway Scott

Okay,

Here is the pic of Chester's injury.
I am just going to include a link as opposed to embedding it. I don't think some will want it up cuz it's moderately gross.
I would be seeing a doctor pronto to avoid bacterial infection. I have heard some bad stories. I hope it turns out okay.

http://tbka.org/images/chester.png
Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

That is SWEET!!! crazy stuff, hope he heals well...
Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Nice wound.

I hope this picture was a before shot ,and not after treatment. People can suffer major tissue loss when these wounds are not treated appropriately. Stingray barbs have little projections on them that point to the body of the ray and when the barb is pulled out they break off and remain in the wound, setting up sites for infection. And stingrays have some nasty bugs hitchhiking on their barbs. Staph, micobacter, and vibrio can lead to large areas of tissue loss if not treated promptly; with debridement of the wound and systemic anti-biotics. The venom contains, enzymes that breaks down tissue ,and also compounds that cause local vasoconstriction limiting the body's ability to get infection fighting cells to the area. It's the venom that causes the excruciating pain.If you don't have this pain, chances are that you haven't been envenomated. The venom is heat sensitive and if hot fresh water is available (hot as you can stand), the wound should be cleansed with it. But who has this on the beach? If hot water is not available, use regular fresh water. No sea water - you're just putting more of the same bugs in the wound. Also, I bet that every kiter is not up on his tetanus immunity. If you haven't gotten a tetanus booster in the last 5 years, time to get one. Tetanus is a rare infection, but carries a high mortality rate.Death is not conducive to kiteboarding. Also, let's dispel the rumor that pissing on stingray or jellyfish injuries is a good treatment. Pissing is only good for one thing on the beach - writing your name. Sounds like Chester did the appropriate thing by getting to the emergency room.

Just a little beach first aid reminder.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Urinating on a jellyfish sitng does neutralize the toxin. It's not really cool to piss on your friend, as vinegar and especially ammonia works best, but in a pinch, urine works too
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Default My stingray wound is slowly healing

Thanks everyone for your advice and knowledge. I have improved to limping status. I was having a really great session at Cypress before the ray got me. Thanks to Rob and John for looking after me and my gear. Scott, good to meet you last night at Lassing! Thanks for the pic.

Tampa General is so much cleaner and friendlier then any other hospital I have been in. They gave me 2 shots of morphine which stopped the pain. It also gave me a short fuse, i.e. made me cranky. Bad stuff. I was given Levoquin as an antibiotic for ten days, and some pain meds. The infection spread from my knee to my ankle within 2 days and has now subsided to about the size of a fist around the exit wound. Luckily I got some more antibiotics from a friend because 10 days of antibiotics was not enough. I'll be riding again very soon.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 PM

Default stupid urine tricks

Like I said before, urinating at the beach is only good for writing your name. Read the article listed below. Chedder, if after 10 days your infection is still not resolved, I would follow up with another visit to a doctor. And while were at it borrowing Rx'es from a friend is not kosher. Even if it's the same drug, what's the date on the Rx? After a course of antibiotics, if the infection is still hanging around you may need to switch to a new drug, and possibly have the wound explored to see if there are any retained pieces of the barb. To keep using the same drug for an extended period may only serve to allow the "bugs" to develop resistance. And I agree with you, Tampa General was a good place to go. Everyone gets cranky in the ER. Patients and staff!!

For all you urinators go to: archives.stupidquestion.net/sq6704.html

Frank local MD
Old 05-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the advice Frank. Understood. I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks

Chester