FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Skyway Scott

Well. It switched to more NW and spiked up real good at about 2pm at Sand Key.
Looks like the same happened at PaG, maybe a little earlier there.

The baynews9 beach cam is perfect right now (zoomed in) for seeing whitecaps. You can even see kites up at PaG.

http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

More North in it here(4-6 PM), wind quality sucked, but wuz fun anyway hangin wit da homies.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Skyway Scott

We rode inside Sand Key park. No one seemed to care. I heard it is off limits.
It probably will be, next time

I don't think there are any "real" rules against kiting in there, but it does seem like on some days "they" will kick us out and on others they won't.
At one point I think there were six of us riding. The patrol guy drove up to Wolfie by the life guard station while Scott was taking a break and was talking to him (nicely) about any dangers of kiting, etc. Scott was saying how safe it was. I was standing immediately upwind of the security golf cart, with my kite in the sky. I debated faking getting dragged across the sand in front of him, and screaming for help, to see how the security guy would react (it would have been funny as hell) but opted to be more mature.

Just then, I saw Al-kite-ah coming out of the water and he was like "Scott.... watch out", pointing to the security dude.
He seemed a tad nervous.
I knew the security guy, or whoever it was, was there and seemed friendly, yet I still got worried for about a half a second when I glanced back at him.
Al and I got threatened with an arrest a few years back.. it apparently scarred us for life
Any time we have a kite up and an "official" comes by, we start to wonder and sweat a little.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM

T.I. Schmolice rolled up to G-Munnie and I and seemed a little interested in kiting. He even said "Is it not windy enough?". I took that as a positive sign, and explained that it was too North for here and pointed out the buildings and lay of the land so he could understand. I am starting to believe that bringing the authorities to "The Darker (windy-er) Side" is our best bet for preserving access. A friend told me that any person wearing a uniform,(Po-Po, Fire, EMS,Parkz & reck) can get free instruction and gear rental from those Kyte Fur Lyfe dudez. Spred de wurd to doze catzz, and thay be our homeezz fo sho.

.........esreveR ygolohcysP, yM sdneirF
.........Reverse Psychology, My Friends
.I.T. mungaM~
Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Skyway Scott

Okay, will keep that in mind. Definitely talking to these guys and being cool is the ticket. Offering a free lesson is a great idea.