FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Bayshore Kiteboarding

Does Anyone Know Who Goes Kiteboarding At Bayshore (tampa)?
I Have Seen A Few People Boarding There And I Would Like To Meet Up. The Water Is Kind Of Nasty But I Can Walk To There From My House. It Would Be Fun To Try. Any Contacts Would Be Helpful.

Collin
Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Flaccid Member

I am one of the people who have kited on Bayshore. Bayshore is a very advanced place to kiteboard and should not be done unless you really feel comfortable. Even with a good comfort level there is a very good chance that someone will put a kite across the road and that will be the end of the whole game. If you want to get the particulars on how to ride there, PM me and I will tell you what I know. I really don't think it is a very easy place to ride and that is why you see so few riders.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
popeye

I would not consider riding there unless you are an advanced rider. I watched Wolfie's group ride there and it is sketchy.

There are plenty of ways to get killed riding there.. for example... a) fast moving storm rolls in or b) your bridle gets tangled after a crash and the kite starts looping, you get dragged into the barnacle and oyster encrusted seawall, kite powers up rips you up and over it and drops you in the first road unconscious and bleeding and then (after you get hit by a car) you get dragged into the second road and hit again.

The bayshore guys have a good safe launch and land system down which I won't go into, but I would not recommend someone ride there unless they have been riding for a few years already and have had a few real scary kitemares to keep them on edge, or have spent enough time on C kites to think ahead and evaluate potential hazards including those of mother nature. Even pumping up your kite there is sketchy, trust me.

Just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
..... Bayshore .....should not be done unless you really feel comfortable. Even with a good comfort level there is a very good chance that someone will put a kite across the road and that will be the end of the whole game.
Plus, the wind there really sucks there... pure swill.
The water is stagnant, and all you hear while riding is cars and planes.
Risk to reward seems not worth it. Like risking your arm to get a five year old (stuck) twinky out of the SW vending machine for free, whilst a SW bandit stands ready, hoping you get stuck so he can have "some fun witcha".
I don't know, maybe it's just me. (LOL, sort of kidding, but not really).
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM

I live on the corner of Euclid and Bayshore... next time you guys go out text me at 6782317833 and I'll walk across the street... Interested to see how you land it and come back in....
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

it def would be nice to be able to walk across the street to kite (like the folks living in PaG ..grrr!!)..
but.. a place like Bayshore seems like too many possible problems.

cant imagine anyone w/o some really solid experience giving that place a shot.

for new riders, spend the extra 20 or 30 minutes driving over the bridge .. thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

I would like to know where the launch on Bayshore is.. anyone with that knowledge, please PM me.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM

Done it once..... Here are the Pros and Cons.

1. Might just be the most dangerous spot to ride...
2. NO PARKING on Bayshore...must cross busy street
with gear.
3. Very little room for error. If you drop a kite, its probably going to end up on the busy street.
4. Clean wind cannot get around Davis Is. to Bayshore Gust,Gust, and did Imention Gusty.
5. No experienced observers...your on your own.
6. Water stinks all the time.
7. Wind direction and tide must be right or NO RIDE!.
8. Your gear will get muddy and stink the next day especially booties.
9.Many underwater hazards including old tires, sharp sticks w/barnacles, and rocks (many many rocks)
10. Almost always, dead onshore winds for riding...good upwind riding is a must.

Pros:
1. There are better places to ride...there are no pros.

WARNING....do yourself a favor and go ride somewhere safer. You'll be glad you did. Thats the Big G's $0.02, for what its worth.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Default sounds fun..just kidding

Anyways...text Me When One Of You Guys Go Next..i Would At Least Like To See How You Lauch/land. I Comfortable Riding Upwind/downwind But I Definitely Would Like To Watch A Few Times.

941-650-8951
Collin
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 AM
popeye

You do it all in the water... including spooling out your lines. There is no "launch area". I hope you like packing up a soaking wet kite.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Then your car will smell like Toby's old Kia!!!!