FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Skyway Scott

R U guys a little sore? My lips hurt from smiling.

I am definitely stoked about how some kites have such a huge range. I would have definitely had to re-rig 2 years ago. I also love having a 2 kite quiver, with at least 10 knots overlap between the two. Makes kite selection kind of easy (either will work from 15 to 25).

That 15 is a lot easier to hold down than a 12m C kite of a couple years ago, mainly because it just shoots upwind and spills power that way when edging. But, if you don't edge and let it develop some apparent wind and power, bearing off wind... (especially at full power) well... see ya', wouldn't wanna be ya'!

Didn't that happen to you, Tom? (in about 15 knots). And then Donna took it out and ripped? That was my fault for not tuning it for you. You were basically trying to hold down a run away train. But, you got the feel of what I mean.

It's not a beginner kite, but once you spend time on it, it's pretty sweet.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 AM

bah humbug.

we rigged up at SPA right at the 3 to 4pm gap of no wind.

broke down and went home.

it started blowing..

back and rigged by 445 and got 30 min of OK wind and then it died to nothing.

missed a solid hour of good wind. blah.

missed evening session too but i had plans.

oh well.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Didn't that happen to you, Tom? (in about 15 knots). And then Donna took it out and ripped? That was my fault for not tuning it for you. You were basically trying to hold down a run away train. But, you got the feel of what I mean.

It's not a beginner kite, but once you spend time on it, it's pretty sweet.
Yeah it was before I got my waroo (I think?). I was riding my 15m yarga waaaay underpowered. So I am guessing it was less than 15mph. I got on your kite and you "powered it up for me".

Crap! I had to ride at a snail pace because any time I pointed down wind the thing went ballistic and I couldn't hold my edge. I was so confused to be OVER powered in 10-12mph on a 15m that I gave it back to you out of frustration.

Then you gave it to Donna and "re-tuned" it... and she was out cruising and jumping like it was no big deal.

Obviously this kite will make you it's bitch if you don't know how to tune it correctly... but if you do know how to tune it, you can practically have a one kite quiver.

On the other end of the spectirum, I'd say the waroo is the most user friendly kite ... kite flies itself, wont fly over your head, unlock stopper without lifting a hand from the bar, let go of the bar for full depower, doesn't hindenburg and fall out of the sky (draping lines around your neck or bystanders) like a hybrid or C kite... basically pretty safe, easy to find cheap. But you pay for all that with a limited top end.

Regardless, I love these modern kites. A few years ago I'd have had to switch kites a few times in conditions like yesterday.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Skyway Scott

Yep. St. Pete use to drive me crazy with the wind speed all over the place. Teabag follow by schlog.

Now, the wind is always nice and steady, right? At least it seems that way.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Thumbs down No fun here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I briefly saw a few people I knew show up (Toby and Amber, and some others) but they cut out pretty early. Most of the crowd started before I even got there so I am sure they already got their fill.

Hope u guyz had fun, I know I did.
Nope, I didn't have fun at all, slept most of the day in my truck waiting for wind, then Amber showed up and she got going BOTH WAYS!!! She really is coming along. She fell hard and smacked her knee and shin up pretty bad on the board and I wasn't feeling so hot anyway. I was tempted to go back out and take advantage of the sudden surge of wind but I just felt like complete shit. After we got off the water I quickly wrapped up my gear and hopped back in the truck freezing cold, then getting the sweats, then freezing cold again, etc. Got home and had a 101.6 degree temperature. No good.

Glad you guys had a good time though!!!