FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Skyway Scott

That bites Shane, the beach was blowin' good.

I just got back from the Undertow. It started off at around 13knots, then at around 1:30pm went straight to 16+ and continued to build.
By the time I left at around 3:30 it was right at 18-20 or so. I was just too tired to keep riding (I hate leaving wind.. but just exhausted)
It was definitely a great day at the beach, nice ramps to jump off of 8)

I rode the Super Phatty the whole time on a 16m kite. When it picked up, it was zero troubles... I just went upwind even more. I think the SP is gonna be a one quiver board for me.
I am very pleased with it, to say the least.
It is unreal light.. its like jumping with nothing on your feet
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Cypress

Scott, it was very strange.

12-14mph at 11am and should have picked up all afternoon.

Bruce got there at 1pm and it was DEAD. Could not lanch the kite. 8mph max.

Looks like it picked up again after 3pm.

Any work on how the Backside Skyway was?

Also used the Magic Carpet. It was a upwind machine, thanks again for the trade.

Shane

PS The city workers at the park basically yelled at Bruce and I for "walking on the grass". All those sand side cuts through the dunes are "off limits". I am sure over the weekend hundreds of people walk through, but today it was "you kiteboarders". All two of us with 2 trips each. Hopefully they will not label us as trouble.

Shane
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM

I just got back from riding redington...

A BIT underpowered with the waves/chop... but man, this is my first time actually riding waves(if you can call them that) and it's hella fun...

What I'd have to do, was get enough power by jumping, then heading upwind into a wave, carve it for a little, then rip upwind into another wave and use that as a jump...

After doing it a few times, I finally crashed... just RAMPED off of one wave and not sending the kite... hooked in raley onto my face... crashed the kite and a TON of seaweed got on my lines and it was so heavy the kite wouldn't relaunch.

I needed a 16 for today, but only had a 13 Oh well, it was still fun...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM

I went to east beach, really gusty, and then it would completely die.....
still did body dragging and realized I still need more kite control before I get on the board.

gotta question about the trim though, is there a chart or common knowledge about adjusting the the power of the kite via knots on outside lines on the bar, and the ones by the kite hookups?
I know that when the trailing edge corners are flopping in the wind the strap has to be pulled to increase AOA, but is there a way to know that kite is tilted forward too much?
It kept flying behind me when at 12 o'clock, I tried bringing it down to the power zone by doing 8 figures, but was either to slow or doing it wrong.....

any thoughts......
Old 05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
E-Bone

Sarasota stayed up at maybe 12-15, rode 5 hours today on my 15 Ion, stoked, full report to follow at another time.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Flaccid Member

I had a great session with Skemp the pimp and Kevin out at Picnic Island. From 2:00 till 4:00, when I had to go, the wind was 14 Kn gusting to 18 Kn, though gusty. The waves were bigger and better formed than I have ever seen. It was neat to play on them. Overall, a good day!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:07 PM

i rode backside ..

got there at 2:30p .. rode there by my lonesome for about 30 to 45 min until Jason showed up .. he and i rode for about another 45 min before the next kite hit the sky.

by about 4:30 there were a number of guys there riding mostly 15 C's and 12 bows.

i was lit on the 12 waroo .. passed it off to my riding partner and i rigged a 15 yarga and had a blast.

failed attempt at trying to fly a kite and help toby launch his 20.. kitemare did not occur.. just a lesson to not try that again.

waroo on flat water is about as perfect as it comes. i tried my first backloops and even though i failed miserably and even sent the kite for a loop.. the waroo's depowerability made it actually "fun". i know on a C kite i would have been in a world of hurt.

amazing day.

wind was gusty but not too bad.. readings were anywhere from 13 to 18 all afternoon/evening.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 PM

I think I would've been okay powered on flat water... but in that choppy surf, wasn't so great... oh well, had fun.

And Z, you were at East Beach? It would've been side-offshore there, bad choice man... stay in side-on winds for now. Don't do anything with offshore at all, and bad idea to do directly onshore right now too. It's REALLY gusty at East Beach when it's an offshore day...

But, you'll learn how your kite should be trimmed eventually. And a lot of bars like to be trimmed differently.

All my kites I just use the second knots and the bars (pulley and 17" surefire) are setup just right for those second knots. When the bars are fully powered and unhooked there's no oversheeting, and when they're fully depowered the 17" is probably as far as I can go (rule of thumb for me is when I'm getting blown off my pulley bar on my 13m, I'll just change bars, then when blown off that, it's time for the 9m).

You don't want the back lines too short, it'll oversheet. But I think almost all C kites (ESPECIALLY high aspect ones) will overfly while in 12 oclock and will fly over you... you've just gotta keep the kite at 11.

And I wouldn't even try figure 8's with a LEI kite... figure 8's are for trainers and that's really it. You'll never do figure 8's with an inflatable.

If you can body drag proficiently, grab a board and try some downwinders on a N-NW day... start at Sand key and work your way down. Take the trolley back to your launching point. It's safest when you're in the water... but I'd recomend either heel straps, board leash(bad idea actually), or being able to body drag upwind before going on a really windy day... don't want to lose a board.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
Sarasota stayed up at maybe 12-15, rode 5 hours today on my 15 Ion, stoked, full report to follow at another time.
E-are you feelin' alright man?
That was your shortest post ever!
Someone please check his vitals.....

Actually, I think he's building hype for a 14 page masterpiece on the upwind performance of his new line of kite bags. :P (do those come with a 5th line?)Just kidding.... I want to order a few bags for my rocket powered kiteboards,so maybe we can work out a sponsorship deal.

Z-your line lengths need to be checked to make sure they are all even.Find a knowledgable kiter and they will be glad to show you how to keep your bar tuned properly.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:25 AM

Gabe, P J, Tommy and myself rode sunset beach up in tarpon springs. It was easily blowing 18 to 20 out there. It was a nice day, the water was pretty flat and i got to tra a 16 xbow whic is a pretty nice kite. Thanks pj.