FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
and seriously the ridiculous forum callouts need to end. everyone has at once done something "wrong". ive done my fair share, but calling out toby, when he is trying to help, for one thing he did wrong a couple of months ago is absurd. plus that kind of negativity is going to steer alot of people away from trying to help.

Amen!

Alex, saw you in the new Ecplise ad in Kiteboarder!!!!!! Freaking sweet!

RS
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM

<jason, i believe i offered up a pretty good way of "coming together"
Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Agreed Alex.

I saw that ad too, way to throw down!!!

Roy, saw you in the latest issue of Gaysians Digest. That Gayley you were doing up there in Panama City was pretty limp-wristed!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Tom Stock

Maybe we should have a new tag. The "i know better but it's ok today" tag.

We could wear it every time we ride.

Ok, seriously, Alex you are almost right, BUT kiters follow by example right there on the spot.

Go out and set an example. A newb for example would not want to be the only one riding by himself like a kook in the swim area while the pros are out throwing 30ft jumps and handle passes beyond the buoys off the big swells.

It's all about perception. If it's perceived to be "cool" to ride in the swim area, everyone will do it, if it's not, they won't.

Surfers and skateboarders don't learn by sitting around talking about rules.

They learn by example from watching the veterans.

If the veterans would set an example I really think it would make a huge difference.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
<jason

Default Alex..

Your idea is good...not saying its not... but we are going to have to get a big turnout...for this "kitenight" and actually do this thing... and not have it turn into "BeerFest" within 15 minutes

It will have to be orginized...and have an agreed upon result at the end....

Like the first hour everone pontificating thier point of view...second hour weeding out the one's that are unrealistic...third hour voting on the easiest one with that will produce the greatest results.....tho just my opinion
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM

my two cents..

signs and tag systems would work well in areas such as SW LP and EB, maybe NB too..
i have no problem with the idea,

but i dont think there is anything we can do about people riding in swim zones on the gulf coast, especially when most are doing downwinders....
only teh beach law enforcement can and eventually will take care of it...
Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
but i dont think there is anything we can do about people riding in swim zones on the gulf coast, especially when most are doing downwinders....
only teh beach law enforcement can and eventually will take care of it...
Well in my neighborhood one single person pushed to make feeding the ducks in the neighborhood illegal and succeeded by getting some supporters:

Look for yourself:
http://www.thegreatseparation.com/ne...l-to-feed.html
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/18/Ne...eed_wild.shtml

All it takes is one pissed of person with money, friends on the city council, and time. There are plenty of these people who live on the beach.

Ducks don't hurt swimmers. Count your days fellas.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 PM

<jason,I truly believe "kitenight" would indeed work if everyone goes and if we go to accomplish the task at hand. The kitemasters party, was indeed a party. I am pretty sure everyone would be in favor of going out and seeing all their buddies from the local spots and talk about a way to preserve our area.

Tom, to be honest, wherever these newbies are looking to get inspiration it can't be at me, especially at the beaches. I rarely ride in the gulf, and you'd be hard pressed finding me out there when there is anyone(bystanders) in the water. I don't do it. I know i ride up to the beach everytime on my tack in, so if there is anyone in the water i am way up wind or way down wind of them. If there are people where i am riding i will ride outside of the swim area upwind of them.

it seems as if everyone thinks that the vets should step up, but what are we being asked to do? I throw all my tricks off shore. I ride courteously on the water, giving right of way to anyone. I can safely say that most of the people who have been pushing the envelope around here for a while are all pretty safe riders. I think the main problem is newbies not knowing what they are doing wrong. The instructors do their part teaching and educating these people how to ride, now we should be the ones teaching them specifics about our locations. Im not saying it is our responsibility, but we have to do it if we want access too our beaches.

basically i think we should organize a rider held rider organized event at hopefully WSW, and get a large portion of the kiting community out there to figure out some specifics. to give up and tell everyone to prepare to lose their beaches is ridiculous.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Default I emailed Gulfster about this.

I email trying to find out what color the kites were. They said " I don't recall what color their kites were. I happened to take some photos (which I later deleted) of them doing some pretty cool jumps but I was so disgusted by what took place that I didn't want to post them on the site as I normally would have because I didn't want to condone what they were doing. "

In over 4 years of riding in the gulf I have never heard of a fellow waterman calling out a kitesurfer!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

basically i think we should organize a rider held rider organized event at hopefully WSW, and get a large portion of the kiting community out there to figure out some specifics. to give up and tell everyone to prepare to lose their beaches is ridiculous.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=452...safety+meeting