FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Newbie here....

Damn....this no wind crap is making me a little light headed. I guess I could consider myself and newbie once again since I could use a little help with a new kite. Anyone out there riding NAISh? I just bought and layed out a 16m Torch with the 5th line shift system and it looks a little confusing. Seems like when you fully power the kite, the inside lines are much longer than the outside lines. Not equal at all....then when you pull the depower ring they get closer to the same length untill you fully depower and then the inside lines are finally shorter. Also, its a 5th line system however only 4 line come to the bar. The 2 inside lines tie about 10m up from the bar and that when they split and complete the 5th line....Seems confusing and looks like a mess. Also, chicken loop rope and another line is tied with a knot and not finished like other bars....Hmmmm Any help would be appreciated..
Big G
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 PM

misunderstanding.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:42 PM

josh, what did that have to do with gary's problem????
gary, where do you live, i might be able to stop by and help
danny
Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM
tomstock

I havent seen it but if there is a Y halfway up, you might hate those lines on a big kite. I used a bar with a 'Y' on the front lines and it was CRAP. It prevented my 18M from opening up, distorting it's profile and causing it to fly REALLY bad. Bad enough that I completely aborted my session and it was blowing a solid 13-15 .

I called up the company and chewed them up and down for being so stupid and for wasting my time and money. Little did I know that was just the beginning of the problems I would have with that bar.

BTW, the company was kiteloose. Dont ever get caught with a kiteloose bar in your quiver. That thing is JUNK.

Oh to answer your question, if there is a Y on the front lines, they need to be longer to meet at the same point when spread out. Spread your lines out the width of a kite, and bring each set of front and back lines together. They should be the same length at that point. If not something isn't right, or there are bridle or leader lines somewhere which may be missing.

\Y/ <----- Like this

-tom
Old 09-06-2006, 07:14 PM

I live up in Tampa but I'm thinking about making an appearance this weekend at the Ft.Desoto beach cleanup. I'll bring the bar if I go....

I took a look at the bar and the on leading edge line does split into a "Y". Looks strange and I can see where it could limit the kite from fully opening.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno
josh, what did that have to do with gary's problem????
gary, where do you live, i might be able to stop by and help
danny
ha, sorry i read it wrong i thought he was asking help picking out a kite... my bad!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 PM

Thanks Josh,
I thought the Newbie title might throw someone....boy I need a life with wind. My wife is ready to move me out to the garage if she sees me laying out my lines and checking my gear.

Big G
Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 PM
E-Bone

Big R, I figured you had been getting some with all the south blowing up into the bay. Did you ride earlier this week?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Can't Re-member

I think you have me confused with another Big one :lol:

No, no wind :x ops: :cry: just lightning and rain :x :evil: ops: :roll: