FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

Default Kites I've Owned

“C” KITES
Wipika LTR 8.5m (projected) 11.5m (overall). This was my first kite, two-line, no depower, no safety, just hang on and scream. I purchased it from Kite High in Hawaii. It could be converted to a 4-line kite, but I never did. I've heard it called Wip-a-kill. I learned on this kite in 2001. I always wore a helmet and vest when using this kite.

2001 Cabrinha Blacktip 15.5m (projected) 21.5m (overall). This was my second kite, 4-line, no safety, just hook in and hope the wind does not gust over 14 knots. This was a high aspect ratio kite and was great for 10 knots cruising. The leading edge was so large I finally bought a battery powered pump so I would not be exhausted after pumping it up. I got some crazy overpowered downwind runs on this kite. I would keep it flying at all cost as it was a bear to relaunch after it Hindenburged. I had to replace all the bladders (did it myself) as in 2001 Cabrinha used a bladder material that degraded after it got wet. That was a great learning experience.

2003 Airush Lift 12.2m (projected) 15.5m (overall). This was a great kite and I learned to jump with this kite. It had great power and hang time. Still no safety on the bar. I retrofitted a quick release on the chicken loop. It had a fixed loop on the bar which I never used. I wish I still had this kite.

2003? Airush Lift Pro 19.5m. This was a monster of a kite. It was great for light winds but when the winds picked up, it “jellyfished” a bit.

SLE (Supported Leading Edge) KITES
2006 Best Waroo 16m. After using the “C” kites above it was great to finally have a kite I could depower almost 100%. This was a great intermediate kite.

2006 Best Waroo 12m. After I became proficient with this kite in high winds, I sold all my windsurfing equipment.

2007 Best Waroo 20m SLE. This kite was a monster. Very slow kite, but would produce some long floaty jumps. Once when jumping I was coming down and then I started going back up again due to a light gust. Strangest experience I ever had with a kite.

All the kites above I have sold. The following kites I still own and use.
2007 Best Yarga 9m Hybrid. This was my high wind kite (25 knots and up). The kite could be flown as a “C” kite or as a SLE kite as it had a mini-bridle. I have considered selling this kite as there are rare occasions when I could use it.

2009 Best HP Nemesis 14m. This kite has been a great kite to own. The only downside to this kite is that it will backstall in light winds if you pull in on the bar. With the Cuben fiber leading edge the kite can be inflated to higher pressures which provides a stiffer kite which is more stable in higher winds.

2012 Cabrinha Xbow 16m. This is now my lightwind kite. Because it has heavy bar pressure, I am considering selling it as the bursitis in my left elbow is pretty bad. It is very slow and your timing for jumps has to be spot on.

2012 Cabrinha Xbow 11m. This is a great kite for intermediate to high winds. It is fast and responsive. It is the same color scheme as the 16m and looks exactly like the 16m.

I am not really sold on Cabrinha or Best and am considering changing my quiver over to another brand, perhaps a foil kite like Flysurfer or another brand of LEI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wipika LTR.jpg (147.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cabrinha BT 21.5.jpg (152.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Waroo 16.jpg (156.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Airush Lift 12.2.jpg (156.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cabrina Xbow 16.jpg (154.6 KB, 0 views)