FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM

Default wednesday

scott, whats your forecast?

im thinking ill bring the wifes camera with the reallly good zoom lense for some looping action....
Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
scott, whats your forecast?.
Pain.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Scott,

Doug told me about these mega loops your throwing....and I quote "Scotty's throwin down!!!!" Props man.

I tried them for the first time back in February on a strong south and I got to tell you....scary as hell....and I thought my legs were going to break on impact with the water.

I asked Damo about them and he said the key was to wait until after you reached the climax of the jump and then throw it just as you start to come down.....has this been your experience with a good powered mega loop?

If you do them on the way up....it's going to hurt on the way down. Again, has this been your experience when things don't go well?

My forecast......wind and alot of it!!!!!

08 has been epic so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

Can someone define "Mega loop"

Danny, are you doing Len10 sized kiteloops????
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM

i wish....
im to fat.. i mean heavy...

im in the same boat as tom and scott, half way between normal loops and lenten loops....
the idea is to jump really high, start the loop before you reach the top of your jump, get as high as your kite and somehow manage to land (we are still working on the last part)

this is a mega loop...
(first time ive seen this clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tBShbGT-Y

btw, he shouldnt be riding so close to shore
Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Skyway Scott

My experience is that it's a "wimp" or "gentle" loop if it's not thrown fairly early on the ascent of a jump. The earlier it's thrown, the more aggressive the horizontal pull and speed is going to be. Also, the harder it gets to land them due to the speed and timing with the kite.

The corollary to that is that the later you throw it, the easier it gets. Throwing it at the apex makes for a non-event really, and is very easy to land.

If you make a loop early during the ascent you can get relatively level with your kite and it is intense the speed and yank you get. Timing the kite for landing is difficult and you best pray your leg doesn't snap on landing.

I have done quite a few very early on the ascent and a few later in the ascent to experiment. I am trying to find a balance point right now where I still get yanked horizontally during the loop pretty good but not so much that the landing is next to impossible. I have pretty long lines, that's not helping. I might end up cutting off 5m from my Qline today to help me out. Doing the loop too early on the ascent is just asking for a world of problems. I've done way early maybe 5 times and man, I hope I don't screw up like that again.

So, if you want to insure that you land one, just throw it at the apex of your jump, not much will happen. Even less eventful and safe, throw the loop on the descent, I promise you nothing will happen if looped on the descent.
If you want to start getting yarded, gradually do the loops earlier and earlier after you take off, to the point it's a fraction of a second after takeoff (about 8 feet up on a 25 foot jump). I guarantee you have never felt anything like it and won't be able to land it :???: (so don't do it!)

I am going to give it a shot again today and get some on video. I can land loops easily if thrown late. I am trying to figure out how to land the powered ones thrown early. If I don't figure it out today, I am going to quit trying the really powered ones and just throw them at apex. The landings are too brutal to screw around more than one more day, imo.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 03-19-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Skyway Scott

These are the best examples I could find. I still think he is throwing a tad later compared to me a Danny. But this is about what they look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqQarB1pvEw

They start off late (safe) and get progressively more aggressive (that's smart to get calibrated).
1:47 is what I am shooting for. I have been throwing them a little earlier on some and just getting creamed.
I want it early enough to get some tug, late enough not to get yarded and land
It seems like a real fine line on when you loop it at some height and your prayers for landing (at least for me).
Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 AM

scott, throwing the loop immediately when you jump isnt all that bad, you get a ton of horizontal pull and land at mach 2, but you dont get more then 6-8 feet high, so you dont land as hard....
its like you said though, throwing the loop when you are about 10ft high on a 20ft jump is when it hurts....

btw, lets definatley shorten your line by about 3-5m, shoudl be lots of fun today

(dont forget yoru 13m....)
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM

any loop when you are 15ft or more off the water takes skill and balls of steel.

some of the worst accidents I've had were getting flattend out at 4 to 6 feet .. getting laid out twice or triple that and you are in for a world of pain.

maybe twice the time to prepare for the impact.. but if you throw that loop too soon and get off your line you are going to pay.

same if you throw too late (my problem a few times on smaller loops) is that the kite does not complete the loop and you hit the water in full power stroke .

the number of riders in the area going big w/ loops is out of control compared to last year.. fun as hell to be a spectator !

i am probably still a season away from trying anything over 5 feet.. and still shakey as hell. maybe next year.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
scott, throwing the loop immediately when you jump isnt all that bad, you get a ton of horizontal pull and land at mach 2, but you dont get more then 6-8 feet high, so you dont land as hard....
its like you said though, throwing the loop when you are about 10ft high on a 20ft jump is when it hurts....

btw, lets definatley shorten your line by about 3-5m, shoudl be lots of fun today

(dont forget yoru 13m....)
I hear you and know what you are saying. We are edging hard against the kite on takeoff. When you do that and send for a big jump, you are not drifting down wind with the kite. So, you get yarded on the loop. If we were screaming downwind on take off and not edging, a 3 foot jump with loop wouldn't be so bad. You would land with tons of speed, but the "yank" would be more fluid. Tons of variables in this stuff and I don't pretend to know half of them.
I just want to land a big one