FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Stuff for sale, Promotions, Demos, Etc. ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Still trying to decide

I just got back from vacation where i had two iko beginner lessons (6 hrs) we did not have very good winds but i was able to get on the board and go for a little while. My interest is peaked but i am not totally sold enough yet to spend the money to own my own equiment yet.

Is there a place i can rent equiment around here? What is a good setup for our area? I am obviously a beginner and I weigh 145lbs.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Take more lessons with a local instructor. You will be able to use their equipment, and by the time you're done, you'll know if you're interested. This unfortunately is the bad time fo year to start. I thinl Watersports West may rent boards to allow you to try the different brands they carry, but I think you can only test kites with their instructors. More lessons are the way to go. I took more lessons than I'm able to say without being embarassed.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Cordes- I'd be happy to help you out if you want to meet up for a refresher course/ supervised practice and to demo some beginner friendly gear.
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Thanks

I may take you up on that.

I was using a 12 meter green cabrinha kite 25 meter lines and it was in an inconsistant 8 to 15 knot wind.

Is this a common setup for our area?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Cordes,

Be patient with your progress into the sport. Keep the end goal in mind, but realize that it is going to take some time.

Without question this time of year the wind can be frustrating to say the least. There are some good days however.

As the year winds on, the winds can get alot better and more reliable. The best times are in the winter and spring with the most frequency and most consistency. Fall can have its moments as well.

8-15 sounds like pretty miserable conditions to me, and ideally you want at least 12 or more.....15 or more is even better. 25 or more can be a bit too much if you have the wrong gear.

Progression is all about being in the right wind and having the right gear.

Many folks think that learning this sport is easy, and if the conditions are right, it can be, but finding those conditions is the challenge of the sport, especially in the beginning stages.

I would say that more than half of the folks that want to get into kiteboarding don't have the patience to stick it out and let the progression take its course.

There is an old saying...."if there is a will, there is a way"

What is your will???
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 PM

Steve-O:

I like Warren Miller's saying - "If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do."