FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Tripod Recommendations?

Hi,

Im looking for a tripod that will be able to take being partially submerged in saltwater as well as able to handle sandy/windy conditions.

The tripod when partially submerged will be setup in 2 feet of salt water or less. This location may have either very soft mud/seagrass or a gritty/gravel like bottom. It would be idea if this tripod could take the occasional full submersion in saltwater - tripod one day may be blown over...

It would be ideal if this tripod would be able to handle not having an immediate feshwater rinse after each use (maybe several hours before getting washed)

Does anyone have any recommendations to fit this bill?
Perhaps it would be easier to just buy a bunch of cheapo tripods and throwing them out after every few sessions would be best?

Thank you in advance,

Bob
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM
kiteflix

Hi Bob,
I bought a carbon fiber tripod from a Japanese company called FEISOL on Ebay. But when I got it I noticed it had a few parts that would rust. FEISOL told me they were going to fix that on the next version so you make check on that. It is extremely light and you can put a sand or stane bag between the legs to weigh it down in high winds. Bogen also makes an all aluminum tripod, 755 B. Make sure you buy a good fluid head.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Thanks George!,

So something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FEISOL-CARBON-FI...QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/FEISOL-Carbon-Fi...QQcmdZViewItem

Any recommendations on a good fluid head?

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
kiteflix

yep. I would check to make sure all the parts are now rust-proof.

I use a bogen 501 fluid head but it doesn't seem very fluid to me. I've tried lubricating it but it still seems sticky so I need to look for something else.

I have not used my Fiesol's much because I am so used to my bogen 3051 and can't seem to break the habit. The bogens weigh about 16 lbs with my 501 head which helps keep them planted when it is nuking. Worst case scenario is to have your camera go down in sand or water. So I like my tripod heavy except when I have to carry it.

The carbon fiber Feisol weighs an insanely low 3 lbs (sans head) and i got it mostly because I was getting hit up for extra weight charges when flying. The weight hook under the center column is a good feature and helps keep it steady in high winds. Sometimes on the beach I hang my camera bag from it so i keep my bag above the sand and get the weight at the same time. If you are planting them in water I would probably find some rocks on location and put them in a small pack to hang from the center column.

Carbon fiber will never rust but it still scratches, so be aware of the sand when you close or extend the telescopic legs.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:28 AM

Please let me know if you ever bump into a carbon fiber/non-corrosive fluid head.

Thanks,

Bob