FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Area Lost and Found
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Lost Jimmy Lewis 'Flightdeck' @ Honeymoon Island

NOT the way I wanted to introduce myself here...ops:

I'm a beginner/intermediate kiter and the tide was RIPPIN' last night, in Hurricane Pass (Between Honeymoon and Caledesi Islands) My Jimmy Lewis got away from me on a jump and I turned around and it was GONE. The tide took my board out into the gulf. I know by board is LONELY! She spent the night all by herself in the dark! :cry:

Just in case anyone hears about anyone finding one around Honeymoon... PLEASE Let me know!!

Todd

EDIT 8-25-07

This board has been FOUND! Thanks again to the Montoyas!

Last edited by Todd RT; 08-25-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 PM

hey todd,
i think i found your board on august 1. what color is it? it just kind of washed up on the beach around 4 pm and i picked it up and brought it home. i live in sc, so how do you want to arrange for me to get it back to you if the board is yours?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 PM

OMG! Could it be true??? I sent you a PM!!!

Where are you in SC? I've got relatives there, or we can work out some shipping...

(could I be so lucky???)

Last edited by Todd RT; 08-05-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up

I just wanted to put out a BIG HUGE

THANK YOU!!!

To Nick, who found my board on the same beach that I lost it, but 2 days later. I can't believe it came back to the same island!!! WOW! Nick took the board back to SC, not knowing what to do with it. Then Nick was HONEST enough to do a Google search, and found my post on this forum. Then he got ahold of me. ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

THANKS NICK! THANKS FKA!!

I'm a believer in Karma. What Nick has done for me, will come back to him. (I helped rescue 2 stranded Jet skiers the other night at sunset, so I guess this is what I get in return! WOW!)

I look forward to being reunited with my Jimmy Lewis!!!

It's nice to know there's still honest people left in this world!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Skyway Scott

Great news and a great guy. Way to go Nick!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Congrats

Todd,

Congrats on the return of your board. Not only is that an expensive piece but soooooo valuable on light wind days. Nick......I know first hand that Todd is very thankful for your actions and the favor will be returned to you one day.

The Honeymoon area is growing with kiters. We are doing most of our teaching up there and exposing alot of new people to the sport. Some things to learn from this.....check the tide and how strong it is. A full moon tide was evident that day and the water flow was very strong. A reel leash or avoiding the channel between Honeymoon and Caladesi during these extreme tides could do a world of good. Also, Honeymoon is a busy place in the summer (2nd most visited state park in FL). There is not much room for error during the summer months on and off the beach. Was hanging out there Sunday with the family and noticed a new kid flying his kite on the beach around tons of sunbathers. A hike to the north of the island gets away from the crowds or a drive to a larger less populated beach would be in order....ie. North Clearwater Beach, Sand Key (south of the park) or better yet.....Treasure Island. All great placed for a newbie to get some flying time with the kite and lots of room to spare.

Thanks again Nick for your honesty!!!
Steve-O
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks Steve-O!

I'd rather be known as 'that guy who lost his board'
rather than 'that guy who was never seen again, chasing his board into the sunset'

But instead I'll be lucky enough to be the guy who Was lucky enough to have an honest person, Nick, find my board and return it

Thanks again for the great lessons, teach! I'll give that reel-leash a try, but am going work on better upwind bodydrags first!

I'm also putting my name and phone # on all my equipment. IMMEDIATELY!

Now where is that wind???
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM

This is good stuff. Really happy to see this lost and found operating. Glad you got your board back.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedder View Post
This is good stuff. Really happy to see this lost and found operating. Glad you got your board back.

Not back yet, Nick's workin' on gettin' it shipped. Hopefully it's shipping soon! I miss Jimmy!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 03:36 PM

I just wanted to publicly thank the ENTIRE Montoya family. They went out of their way to get my Flightdeck back home in FL!

I believe that EVERY single member of their family assisted, in some way or another, to the safe return of my board. One of their sons found the board, and explained to his father that it came from 'out there', as he pointed west into the gulf. So rather than leaving the board for someone else to pick up, they kept my Jimmy Lewis safe, and lucky for me... they contacted me and shipped it safely back to Fl. Nick located my post on fksa.org and communicated with me. Mr. and Mrs. Montoya were so helpful in coordinating the shipping.

There was still sand on the board, from Honeymoon Island... and NOT ONE scratch.

The Flightdeck floated for almost 24 hours, then came back to the same beach that I last saw it.

Thanks so much to the entire Montoya family! I hope someone "pays it forward" back to you!!!

(PS. I just finished putting my name and phone number on all my equipment)