FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Skyway Scott

Another thing to consider when hooking to that CL ring on the Best.
When your CL line breaks (mine did while doing a kite loop) the whole kite just flies away, after you fall flat out of the sky. You are left sitting there with a about 3 feet of Cloop line with a ring on the end attached to your leash watching as your kite, bar and lines goes bye bye.
That's when I experimented with the front line attachment and some stuff running down from it through the bar (to avoid that loose kite scenario).
I couldn't reason out anything I liked, so back to square one.

Ok... it's been fun. Gotta get stuff done.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM

safest would be a 5th line attached at the center point of the kites LE with q-line that passed thru a small hole drilled in the waroo slider stopper and connected to your leash .. w/ a stopper about 30 feet up.

5th line would be a slacked enough to not be a flying line, but a pure safety line..

ive read a few forum posts where a release line on a Rev broke.. and i believe this is due to the fact that besides a safety line, its also a primary flying line.

maybe i am wrong.

ive talked about doing a mod like this for a while.. prob should just get to it and see if it works..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Tom Stock

I agree thats a good idea, as long as there is a stopper to keep the kite from flying upside down.

Connecting leash to an outside line is a bad idea. Only use it if you have to release the whole deal... as a handle... (hense the name o-shit handle) but do not connect your leash to it while riding.

A simple tangle of your leash around anything could pull your kite into death spirals.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM

Tom, that was basically what I was planning on doing, but I got to admit, I probably never would have attached it to the head of the pull pin. I would have attached it to the webbing. I'm glad I posted, your idea's a better one.

I had seen the front line flag out ring mod, I think on one of Scott's posts previously and was actually going to add it the same time I modded the CL release. Any particular reason you only attached the ring to one front line instead of both like Best is doing with the 2008 Bar?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Tom Stock

Cause those rings are like $10 and I only had one

When you use it to self land, bring the kite down low and make sure the ring you release to is the one going to the top edge of the kite.

It'll plop right down nice and pretty.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM

good reason
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM

the rev uses a bungee line that attatches to one of the front lines. There is not actual flying tension on it under normal circumstances, which is why its a bungee. A standard length line would be too slack, and in the way especially once you depower the kite a little bit. once the cl is released, the front line slides through a small stopper ball and the bungee pulls tight; flagged kite. I have no idea why mine broke, but it snapped clean and bye bye kite. (this was after the CL line broke) Fortunately is was tamed before becoming a hazard on the beach or getting damaged, although i was so pissed i was going to leave that thing in whatever tree or building it got wrapped up in Moral of the story? just bought a new 8 and 12 meter SB3's
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Tom Stock

BTW LSUKiter, I think you only really need one... I've never had two... one is enough... I actually think it's safer because you always know which side of the kite it's connected to, where with two you'd have to unspin lines, double check, etc before self landing.

I always connect my ring line to the right side of the kite... so I always land with the kite to my left.