FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default NEW - GoPro Viewer

The LCD module

I just setup the LCD screen for the first time. I LIKE IT! So much guesswork in framing the GoPro normally. With some shots, but not all, that will vanish from here on out. With older GoPros you may need to download and install a firmware update. It isn't that time consuming but you may want to watch the short how to video on the GoPro website.

Connecting and detaching the LCD module is easily done.

Housing with an expanded door in place.

Initial impression is that it does get warm above water with the LCD in the housing. They provide FOUR different housing back doors to replace the standard one that comes with all GoPros with the normal LCD kit. They have one with openings for improved cooling and sound pickup in non-moist/wet environments. I suspect that may need to be used in fogging prone areas as long as they aren't too humid.

Content of the LCD kit

Photos to come tomorrow showing off the enhanced framing offered by the LCD back. No more guesswork and bracketed shots for some types of shooting anyway.

All this for just $79.99 above the cost of the standard GoPro HD package. More at:
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-03-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some photos shot rapidly on the way to work this morning using the GoPro LCD display. With still shots you may have the option of cropping but this often is a lessor option in video. Having a color LCD display with autopower off is quite an asset for video and certain types of still photography. I noticed in bright light a hood would help the viewing as is often the case with LCD displays on all cameras. A key advantage in still photography is the opportunity to do more minute framing to develop wide angle distortions and compositions without the normal guesswork or bracketing of photos.

Here are some examples. To really show it off I would need to spend some more time with it with some more interesting subjects.

My normal drill is to shoot multiple shots shifting the camera framing by feel for each one. Then comes cropping in Photoshop. With video what you shoot is largely what you get to a degree. Being able to see what you're getting up front is a distinct advantage. Underwater and for closer studies it is going to be a great advantage.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi