FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Attention Surfers!!!!!!!11

Last edited by CrazyJay; 03-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is good this isn't an issue where you are Jayson. It is curious but so be it. Kiters threatening surfers is an issue, either actual or perceived in many other areas in the USA. What surfers do to harm their access is there lookout and welcome to it. They've been fighting access issues a lot longer than kiters have, say about forty years worth in some areas.

What kiters do to threaten our access is of more interest to me. I have heard lots of stories, many likely true that I will not get into here for practical reasons. They never should have happened, but did.

Perception is everything in our society. It can even have more impact than fact sad to say. Surfers far out number kiters and have been on the water much longer than us. Their advocacy groups are far larger, better established and more effective than anything in existence for kiteboarding. In short I wouldn't want to take them on as the recent experience in Hawaii supports. We have been working with Surfing advocacy groups to maintain kiting access. They were the first to pass along the invaluable information of the Pompano ban even before kiting interests.

Kiters need to keep their distance from swimmers, surfers and other water users. To do otherwise with our growing numbers is to beg for trouble.

I was speaking to Robby Naish about this subject just last week during an interview. He said we need to "stay invisible, have fun and work to protect access." By invisible he meant stay out of official scrutiny and ire. Pete Cabrinha has similar sentiments in his interview.

I don't consider any of this thread a waste of time. At least the parts working towards a solution.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Skyway Scott

It's obvious that some people have different views on where/when they can safely ride and how it may or may not affect our access. It's also beyond obvious to me that all kiters (they don't have to be on the forum) are aware of the prevailing problems in FL and the concerns that exist toward riding near the shore and bathers. We do talk at the launches and you'd have to be under a rock not to know what's up.
Despite being aware, some guys have decided our concerns are not valid, and that's their right. They feel riding near others is not a problem.
We can't force them to change their minds. One more safety meeting won't do anything. A sign stating a few recommendations won't either. A tag.. well, that might get jammed up my ass on a bad landing, I will pass on that one.
Until someone is willing to literally hold Jay down and not let him ride (never going to happen) he will ride like he wants. Jay is far from alone in his views, so try holding back 30 riders who don't feel it's a problem to consistently ride within 20 feet of shore each tack, get close to swimmers/surfers and other stuff. Maybe a few of you that don't ride the beach much are starting to get it - Most guys riding out there don't feel it's a problem to do what they want. Jay is just the only guy that has expressed this very common belief.
I hope that he is right and that I am just a nervous ninny. I definitely don't want to lose the beach, it's always been my favorite spot. But I don't think there is a point to fighting over ideas anymore either, since it's pointless.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM

scott, are you wearing your cranky pants today? There is so much negativity in this thread, i can't even believe it! Especially knowing that for the most part this sport is made up of a bunch of laid back, level headed guys.

Danny's post about the tags/signs working at EB, SW, lassing, etc. was totally on the mark for me. I don't think that anyone suggesting a tag system thinks that it will be a solution to people riding in swim areas or near surfers. Places like east beach and the skyway are places where riders of all skill levels congregate. People like Jay and Alex all the way to joe schmoe who bought his kite off ebay.

The tags/signs were designed specifically for those launches, not the gulf beaches and to address specific problems, not a solution to every issue we'll face. Alex-great call on the WSW preparty. that was a good representation of our local "regular" riders.

Scott- if you choose to wear your tag up your ass maybe you should head over to the backside more often. I think most people can tolerate a luggage tag attached to their harness. Lets show each other some RESPECT both on the forum and at the beach. That should be a great first step for all of us.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Skyway Scott

I am a laid back and level headed guy, which is exactly why I find nothing more than humor and irony in your posts.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM

I'll wear a Tag, a wrist band or even de ribbon, and I'd like to see us preserve access, I just don't think it will matter. I can't tell you how much I respect Jay for openly stating his position. He is one of the very best riders in our area and puts only himself at risk when ridding. At least he is not a hypocrite talking a lot about safety first, and preserving access, then doing the opposite and actively undermining responsible riding. If that doesn't describe you, then no worries. If you feel you're being called out then maybe you should indulge in a little introspection. I for one am going to do my best to enjoy my time on the water responsibly, have fun, and enjoy the good people I meet. The rest is a waste of time.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Default dontcha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Scott- if you choose to wear your tag up your ass maybe you should head over to the backside more often. Lets show each other some RESPECT both on the forum and at the beach. That should be a great first step for all of us.
Comment: Promote respect.
Action: Show utter disrespect in preceeding statement.
Result: IRONY.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Tom Stock

Summary:

hypocrite:

Hypocrisy is the act of condemning another person, where the stated basis for the criticism is the breach of a rule which also applies to the critic and of which the critic is in breach to a similar or greater extent. A person engaged in hypocrisy is called a hypocrite.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Default I found the solution to riding in the swim zones!

Rode north clearwater beach today...

Turns out they mark their swim zones with giant telephone poles.

You think I am doing anything like riding or jumping near a 15 foot barnacle covered pole? Heck no! They have these things like every 50 yards or something.

No becasue I am scared to jump one while doing a triple kite loop handle pass, more so becasue I don't want to wrap my kite around it!

Now they just need to replace all the swim zone bouys down the coast with these things!

But not to be confused with the "idle speed" bouys like at Indian Rocks
Old 03-21-2008, 06:01 AM

kite free or die!

Last edited by bayflite; 03-21-2008 at 07:22 PM.