FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-23-2007, 04:16 PM

still planning the self rescue demo for sat oct 6 at eb or where the wind dictates. Steve(Kite for Life) will be doing the demo and also doing skill assessments and subsequent IKO card issuing for those interested. Probably shoot for later on in the afternoon like 4-430. Steve said he would volunteer his services but we should definitely make it worth his while. Maybe 20 bucks per person? Just trying to get a count of those interested other than me, my wife wendy ,scott.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Skyway Scott

That should work for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Go to this!

Knowing how to Self Resuce saved my butt this weekend! Was about 500 yards off shore at the State Park here in PC. Hit the face of a swell and went for a jump. Jump was going well until I started to pull the kite down for the land, and had some awesome bar gear failure. Took my leash off and put it through the handle of my board and re-attached it to my CL. Then wrapped my lines around my bar. LOL Got to the kite and had a very long swim back in. I am just glad this is like the 3rd or 4th time I have had to self rescue so no biggie. If this was my first time, and I did not know how to self rescue it could have had a very bad ending. Took me about 30 mins to get back to the beach. Took a 10 minute break pulled out my spare bar and I was off riding again!!!!!!

RS
Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Thumbs up

I'm in for saturday. I'll bring my camera so we can document the session. what else should i bring?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm interested too!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:34 AM

probably bring your harness,boots in case we are in the water. god idea to bring the camera.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM

Im in forsure.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
popeye

I guess I'm confused.. isn't self rescue part of your original lesson/cert?

Are instructors skipping this stuff or does it end up in an advanced lesson?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 PM

As a newbie to the sport I have had a few incident where panic has set in. I had learn a few hard lesson myself but after reading other kiter experience, I guess I have been lucky.

Is it possible to video (and later on narrate the play by play or the suggested remedies) so other who is not in the your area can also learn from this. Maybe selling it at a reasonable price to recover cost of time and material.

Thanks for sharing your experience so other might not have to endure those kitemare.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:25 AM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhster View Post
As a newbie to the sport I have had a few incident where panic has set in. I had learn a few hard lesson myself but after reading other kiter experience, I guess I have been lucky.

Is it possible to video (and later on narrate the play by play or the suggested remedies) so other who is not in the your area can also learn from this. Maybe selling it at a reasonable price to recover cost of time and material.

Thanks for sharing your experience so other might not have to endure those kitemare.
Videos are available just about everywhere... just do a google search and pick one which covers self rescue.

http://www.amazon.com/REAL-Kiteboard.../dp/B000BLKJ5Y