FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM

As soon as I'm not a laughingstock on the water i am definitely going to try to wear a pair of jump skis and try to ride. Don't worry...i'll warn you. The video is a good one. How bout the part when the guy gets dragged on his face across all the cow pies in that pasture? classic! I agree this video should be more mainstream and its a must see.!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

what magazine does this other video come in? not the upwind one.. i went to books a million where they sell sbc and Kiteboarding magazing but neither had a video.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM

Yup....Great vid. I remember it coming out about a year ago and had it running in the shop all the time. A great way to see the history of the sport and how it all evolved....the gear, the designers, the riders, ect.....

How exciting it must have been to be apart of such rapid evolution of gear. Gear still has a long way to go, but glad that even seasoned riders are excited about the new 08 lines and the improvements that are being made.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Can't Re-member

ya, back then we had few choices. two line wipika 8.5m or two line wipika 5.0m.
then our choices exploded to two line f-one AKT 9m or 7m as well....that was no improvement...but it was fun to use the reel bar on the foil
Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Skyway Scott

I remember trying to ride that 2 line 5m Wipi on a directional in about 15 knots. I launched from a boat, in the area in between backside skyway and East Beach each time I went out (went about 4 times). I remember thinking - "This sucks. These things have less power than windsurfers".
I tried about ten hours total, then said "screw it".

Most available info back then was strongly recommending the use of 5m kites with directional boards to get into kiting. These articles failed to mention you were doomed in less than 20 knots with that approach.

After that first taste, I basically quit for 2 years until some of the kites available had more juice and a slightly better design. The Wipi 8.9 Free-Air was what I got.

I would say the biggest difference between 2000 and now (for your average rider like me) is that back then, just riding was a serious adrenaline rush, because controlling the kite and the board was such a challenge, especially in gusty stuff. Also, when you messed up, you got tea-bagged pretty good. I basically felt like I had to be always concentrating, or else. Now I can zone out 90% of the time, and it barely matters.
Learning on that gear was a rush, to say the least. Especially the JoJo foil, I can't believe some of us actually rode those.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM

FYI Life ect. a new video by Damien Leroy just arrived. We are planning a video party for Damien next month. Will keep you all posted....should be fun.