FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-14-2008, 03:33 PM

sounds good JP. I'm in a maroon bronco. I'll say hi if i see you around.
Smart of you to go prepared. I used to carry my phone in a waterproof bag, till some moisture got in during the jupiter race and I killed my old phone. So lateley I've been going out without a backup plan which I know is not the smartest thing to do. I ride really conservative when I'm far out, always conscious of how far away is the downwind shoreline and mentally prepared for a downwind drift should it ever come to that.

A few yrs ago I blew a big panel on an old kite at the outside break off of crandon. Wind that day was NE and I was considerably south and east of the launch. I did the typical self rescue by climbing into the LE of the kite. What was surprising though was that I found that by sticking my board down as a lateral plane and using the board and my leg as rudder while sheeting the wing tip I was able to sail almost a beam reach. I actually steered myself right back to the launch beach when a downwind drift would have taken me down near the key biscayne hotels.

Of course, if the LE were to blow up, that type of self rescue would not be an option, and a downwind drift would be the only choice.

Also important to stay conscious of current in the bay. Particularly, on a west wind when riding off of the beach by seaquarium I know a lot of people like to go across to the flats near the 'ski hole' on the west side of key biscayne. Everyone should know that on an outgoing tide the current sometimes RIPS through bear cut, which is downwind of this crossing. It also rips out through the fingerchannels between the stiltsville flats, but this is less of an issue b/c you could always make it onto a shallow. Would suck to break down in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just something to keep in mind I guess.