FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Nick,

The WSW intro class is probably the most informative class on kiteboarding you can take next to being on the beach with the kite in your hand. I would highly recommend it. Also check out www.tbka.org

I bought a trainer kite and started flying it and you can get worked over pretty good in higher winds, though not likely to happen during the summer months.

This was in about 25mph winds through my shirt...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Talking I'm longwinded, I know. SORRY!!!!

I think the good thing about the course at WSW is that you're paying $75 bucks on 2 1/2 hours of stuff you need to know. Kite terminology, weather, safety, etc. You would normally be paying about a hundred bucks an hour to get all that same information relayed to you at the beach. This way when you do take lessons, you won't have to spend so much time on land with all that information being thrown at you.

Also, something I was previous unaware of... WSW maintains a database of new riders and actually makes referrals to local certified instructors. This includes instructors like Steve-o and Gabe that teach for the shop as well as Steve at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay and Matt at Triton Kiteboarding.

I would just definitely wait to buy any gear. I think people get excited at the intro class and wanna buy stuff. Your instructor will have gear. Try stuff out and figure out what works best for you before you go spend ton of money on something you may not need or like. I started out with a secondhand board for example (thanks Scott) and saved a bunch of money.

We are having a safety day and cook-out at East Beach at Fort Desoto this saturday. Perfect time for you to bring your trainer kite and questions out to the beach and meet a bunch of us. Its actually past the "real" east beach. Turn left at the flagpole and keep driving till the end. See ya then!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 PM

only bought a trainer cant wait for it to come in hopefully today or tomorrow wont buy any gear till after i can take lessons

beach sounds like fun i might just do that should i bring anything?

when will the winds pickup again to have best chance of getting lessons consistantly?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
when will the winds pickup again to have best chance of getting lessons consistantly?

October if you we are lucky
Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM

i will ask for lessons for my b-day then
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post

We are having a safety day and cook-out at East Beach at Fort Desoto this saturday. Perfect time for you to bring your trainer kite and questions out to the beach and meet a bunch of us. Its actually past the "real" east beach. Turn left at the flagpole and keep driving till the end. See ya then!
What time was this supposed to be?

Thanks Amber!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Tom Stock

This time of year, best chances for flying your trainer: Treasure Island (or any large gulf beach, like Big Beach Ft. Desoto) in the afternoon between 3:00pm - 6:00 pm. It won't be guaranteed but chances are good for an afternoon sea breeze this time of year.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 PM

The safety day and cookout isn't until Saturday June 28, all day. There's a thread here and one on www.TBKA.org Make sure to sign up on there and let us know you will be coming (on the cookout poll.)
Since you mentioned it, we are cooking out at my house this weekend if you wanna show up.
Later, Steve
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM

oh damn. that sux. I was all ready to go to the beach on saturday. Steve... I'd make sure and advertise that its not this weekend b/c i've talked to a couple people that were under the impression it was saturday. Sorry for confusing everyone.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM

got my kite today now im just waiting on the wind