FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Default new to sport

hey guys the names nick im interested in kite boarding. Just bought a HQ Scout 3m to start learning how to control kites looking for any advice on using these kites while i wait for it to come through the mail. i also will be looking for a kitesurfing instructor want a good one any points to the right direction would be appreciated

what wind speed should i be looking for using this kite?

what obstacles to stay away from

any other questions that i dont know and should ask. you guys could answer for me and i would appreciate it thanx in advance
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM

sorry guys just realized i posted in wrong spot plz move to the learning threads
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Tom Stock

Instructors, you can call watersports west, or you can drive down to the skyway during a west or east wind (around 12-14mph) and look for "Randy" in the trailer... he's almost always there. Look for the black flags with a flying fish on them. He teaches right there on the spot.

Most of our instructors are pretty good, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

TBKA may recommend some instructors also... Steve for example.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Scott's right on that. I started during the summer a year ago cuz I couldn't wait. Awesome wind on my first lesson, every other lesson was sucky light winds. I can relaunch the hell out of a kite becuz half my lessons were in such light winds, I ended up with my kite in the water constantly. Extremely frustrating and annoying. Lack of winds combined with a horrible work schedule led me from taking about 12 hours of lessons as opposed to the usual 6. I was completely happy with my instructor, it just got frustrating because my progression was so slow.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM

would it be good to start off on land with a board? will the trainer kite have enough power for this? what kinda pull should i be expecting with this kite with a summer wind?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Your best bet right now is to take the Intro to Kiting class at Watersports West in Largo. Its 75.00 and about 2 1/2 hours of info. You go home with study materials, links, and a ride guide CD of area launch sites. Do that and fly the trainer kite as much as possible.

There's a ton of local and safety info here:
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
and here: www.tbka.org/forum/

If you come out to the beach with your trainer I will show you some land excercises that you can practice on.
Thanks for seeking advice and learning safely, our locals apprecitate that!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM

thanx for advice dont wanna go near a board until i can handle a kite
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Tom Stock

I think you could pass on the intro lesson, and just fly the trainer as much as possible before taking the real lessons. Fly it until you can fly it with one hand, with your eyes closed (seriously). Apply the $75 towards the real lesson (maybe wsw does this, not sure. If so then go ahead and do the intro).

Fly the trainer in many different wind speeds... 6mph up to 20mph (avoid people of course). Even a trainer kite can drill you into the ground so be careful.

You can easily ride a skateboard with a trainer or even a skim board in the right spot.

I flew stunt kites before getting into kiting and one 3 hour lesson was all I needed to get started. I did not get up and riding in 3 hours, but only learned to rig and fly the kite, self launch, self land, body drag, water relaunch, self rescue, and water start. Basically to be safe with the kite. Never wake boarded or snow boarded in my life. Some people need more time, it really just depends on your life experience, your instructor, and the weather. Took me another month to get up and riding and staying up wind after the lesson...

Kiteboarding is a lot like wakeboarding and snow boarding because you ride on your edge. Play with the trainer and maybe hit up the wakeboard park in orlando, then go ahead and take a lesson in 14mph+.

Also, wear a helmet for the first year (or always). Just trust me on that one.

-tom
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 PM

I can wakeboard, snowboard, and i surf so im sure thatll help when i get to the boarding aspect.

Whats a good distance to keep from people, buildings, and other objects poles, lines, etc...?

What beaches and what are the beach rules on just flying the kites because i have seen people flying them just dont remember where
Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Tom Stock

As much as possible, but a minimum of 2 line lengths is a good idea. Keep in mind that lines under tension can cut to the bone in the right circumstances (lots of power) so stay clear of people especially young kids.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Do not attempt to fly a full sized kiteboarding kite without a lesson regardless of how well you fly the trainer.