FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Tom Stock

Facts are, that foils have a bigger range and are better in light wind than even most modern bow kites.

Modern inflatables are starting to become more and more like foils... flatter profiles and bridles.

There was a test done awhile back with several kites (foils, c's and bows) connected to a scale, depower measured while being pulled behind a truck at a constant speed in dead air. The foil won, bow was 2nd.

The big problem with foils, is surprisingly not water relaunch... thats no problem at all. The problem is that they fold,collapse, taco, and loose drive in gusty conditions and unfortunately tampa/st.pete have some pretty gusty conditions.

The peter lynn venom is an awesome foil, but it's actually more of a C kite. We tied the 12 to a garbage can a few years ago at east beach and watched it fly itself while we ate lunch. We never landed the kite after riding, just connected it to a pole and walked away as it flew.

The kite was awesome. I really like foils but the conditions aren't ideal for them here most of the time. The extra weight and structural rigidity of the SLE's makes them a better choice in gusty conditions or for freestyle where you are constantly stalling the kite and getting moments of slack in the lines. But for steady wind and free riding (read light wind) the foils smoke sle's.

Bayflite has that foil for sale on his website: http://www.stpetekites.com/catalog/p...products_id=38

Last edited by Tom Stock; 04-30-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Gabe is in for $100 Chad for $1000.00 Chad needs some money....LOL

I don't think Chad is betting on the kite as much as he is on Whitey......

I know it will never happen....but healthy smack is fun
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Skyway Scott

What are you guys betting on again? A kite?
Hmmm.... the board is far more important in light wind.
I will ride upwind of that foil on my 9m Waroo using a Glide in 8 to 11 knots (I don't need that 14m Era) if the Whitey has to be on a board less than or equal to 135 by 41. I have done the same thing to Bob on his 14m Era a few times.
The foil isn't going to make up for the board, if forced to ride a small one.
The board is way more important in light wind.
What are you guys betting?
How can you lose to a 9m Waroo in sub 11?

Oh, I have ridden that 19m II. It's a nice kite.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Tom Stock

Scott is right on this one... big kite == drag. Small kite and big board will go upwind better in most cases, within reason.

However, I still believe a big and efficient foil and a >good< 130x41 *may* beat the 9m + glide.

That said there have been many many many times when Scott went half a mile upwind of me on his 9m waroo while I was on my 16M waroo in light wind. We were both on the same board. I pretty frustrating because I knew it was because I was on a big kite... lightwind efficiency defeated by drag.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks Bob for making something interesting to talk about on the forum.

I am not sure where the different boards came into play here. I think to be fair, boards should be the same.....it is the kite as the thread states should be the variable.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Where should this friendly comp take place, flat water at east beach?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

It's an interesting proposition to have a light wind challenge if you will. I enjoy cruising around trying to maximum every ounce of the wind speed. Being light myself....I certainly feel I have an advantage. It wouldn't be hard to find a day to hold something like that around here.

Speaking of light wind the strangest thing happend today. A few of us shot up to Sand Key to do a downwinder. Spring time downwinders are very enjoyable for me. Anyway, the sensors were showing 15mph+ winds. I get a view of the water texture and in absolutely confirmed the sensor reading. Alot of texture and whitecaps on the water. None of us even hesitated for a second to pump up....and as a matter of fact we all didn't bring light wind boards as the wind looked and felt great. Long story short it was a slog fest.....there was just no power in the wind. Talk about sucker wind. All of sat there scratching our heads. I tried a 14 Era, a 14 Contra 3 and a 14 Switch 3 and none of them were doing the job. I bet Whitey was killin it somewhere with that damn foil. LOL!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Tom Stock

It takes approximately 10 knots of wind to negate 1 knot of current... so I would guess a current was killing you guys.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Steve-O My bet was Scott could go upwind better on his Jimmy Lewis and my 14. His Jimmy is a surf board and I was trying to be funny. I'm not much for gambling but I figured if I said bet anything Scott would be all in. It does sound like a fun comp now and If Scott wants to ride his 9, I'll ride my 14. I think whitey should have to ride my 05 SS Doyle WSW stuck me with. That thing won't go upwind hooked to a ski boat. Lets pick a day and do this thing, I aint Skeeered
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM

"I think whitey should have to ride my 05 SS Doyle WSW stuck me with."

Careful Bob, let's keep this fun....that's crossing the line IMO.

I remember the 05 Doyle board. What a piece of crap. Blame Doyle for that one IMO. On that note, the Glide is hands down the best light wind TT ever made.

Tom.....a strong current is the only explanation.....but it usually works in our favor going downwind north to south especially with a north wind.