FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Lost Kite event at Big Beach - Long Post

I was told during my kite lessons that everyone has the potential for a kite accident and to always practice the safety systems. I’m very glad I took the advice.
I'm writing this for advice and constructive criticism.
My wife daughter and I went to big beach this afternoon so I could do some kiting. I checked the wind and it was reading 16 with a max of 20. (Wind meter - gift from my wife.) I rigged up my 13 Best Waroo and my wife did an assisted launch. It was a little gusty once the kite was at 12 so I adjusted the de-power straps and flew the kite on the shore for a few minutes. I then got my board and walked into the water about chest deep. A guest hit me and I was lifted a few feet and then the kite fell straight down from 12. If fell about 10 to 15 feet and re-powered and I was lifted about 10 to 15 feet out of the water and I flew for a good 20 yards downwind. (I was so happy that I was in the water away from the beach.) The water impact was a bit hard and the kite dropped to the 10 position (off shore) and did 1 to 2 kite loops. I unhooked and the kite stayed at the 10 position. It didn't de-power. I was being pulled by the kite leash. I looked down to see the leash and the red steering line looped around my harness hook and the blue steering line wrapping around my left arm. I was pulled my leash safety with my right arm and stretched my left out so the line would clear my arm. Then I pulled the lines off the harness hooks and watch the kite fall into the water. I attempted to swim to the kite so I could deflate it but, it kept rolling over in the water and I couldn't keep up so I had to swim in. Needless to say a few people on the beach were a bit concerned. So I ran to the snack bar near the fort and informed the there was a kite in the water but, the kiter (Me) is fine. There is no need to call the coast guard. They were happy that I informed them and they let the rangers know. I then ran back to my wife and daughter (They are a bit pissed.) We packed up and went to North Beach and I spoke with the Rangers and the life guard supervisor. I told them there is a kite loose offshore and no one is in the water with it. I apologized profusely and they were very nice about it. The lifeguards spotted it about 3/4 of a mile offshore and moving slowly north.
I was wearing an impact vest and a helmet. The impact vest saved my butt and absorbed a hard hit. (This is where I thank John at WSW for telling me to get one a while back. THANKS) I did notice my helmet does have a nice scratch in it as well. I have no idea how it got there and I don't remember getting hit. I do know it didn't have one when I put it on at the beach. (I have been thanking my wife all afternoon for badgering me to get one.)
I know that someone did try and retrieve the kite but he was unable to locate it. I didn’t get his name but I know he was driving an orange jeep. Thanks for trying.
Robert
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Skyway Scott

It sounds like the primary thing you did wrong was launch a 13m kite in too much wind, and really gusty wind at that. It was blowing solid 20 plus, probably more like 25 and a 13m was too big.
We were at East Beach (just up the road), I was LIT on a 9m and most were on 9s.
Big Beach is exceptionally gusty on due South winds. Wind comes over land and the pier just south of where you were, making the wind total garbage.
I learned that one the hard way about 5 or 6 years ago out there, getting lofted immediately after a self launch.
I will only ride BB once it hits SW and I personally will never ride BB on a due South again. SSW is even sketchy out there.

It sounds like you tried to get the "right" wind speed, but because of the location of you on the beach, you may have been blocked down low on the ground from the "real wind". Also, my opinion, add at least 5 knots to what a wind meter says on a SE, SSE, S or SSW. It's pretty much always noticeably more windy up where the kite is.

Good call on notifying the rangers about the situation and being responsible in that manner.

Glad you are okay. It could have been a lot worse if you were lofted on the beach.

This aerial pic shows how due souths go over land and the pier before they get to you at BB. Really gusty in there on due S. BB is basically a "hole" behind land on S.... ugh.....

Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 PM

I had moved down the beach to get away from some people. Looking at the map explains the wind shadow and why I thought the wind was more side-shore. I was on the bend in the beach and I goofed.
By the time I got unhooked from the kite I was a good 100 yards off shore. (Distance was my friend.)
Thanks for the advice.
Robert
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Skyway Scott

I did the same thing once, like I said. It's deceptive in there. I don't think you could have known that you were about to goof without being given opposite advice prior.
Once the sh.it hit the fan, it sounds like you did pretty well. Especially after, by being responsible and notifying and apologizing.

BB is probably one of the worst spots you could have been today in terms of gusty type winds. This stuff took some of us some time to figure out.
Hopefully the info will be made more public soon with good launch summaries that are accurate so people don't have to repeat mistakes.

Hopefully that kite shows up. I would guess a boater got it.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom Stock

Glad they weren't chasing the kite with you still attached! Sounds like your day was worse than mine, glad you are ok. It was definitely too windy for a 13.. I put down an 11 after 10 minutes and went down to a 9. You weren't the only lofting today btw.

Hope the kite didn't end up on a crowded beach (unlikely considering you location) but you did your best to give everyone the heads up so good job there.

Again, glad you are ok, the kite will probably turn up. Did you write your name on it? What color is it?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 AM

The kite is Red and Black and it doesn't have my name and number. Hind site is so much better. Go figure.
Thanks again for the advice,
Robert
Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 AM

glad you're OK
I can loan you a kite for today if you're going to East Beach
Scott- I have a disk full of info(launches, etc.) for you but you were gone before I got off the water.
Will try to get it up there soon.
Steve
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Skyway Scott

Cool. I was there until about 5, got there at 10 am
I didn't see you. Tons of people there though, and I tend to stay upwind of everyone.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM

When riding a new spot, some homework should be done about the place.

If locals are present, of course ask about the place. If locals aren't present, that should be an indicator that the place might not work.

Using google map earth to look for shadows as it relates to actual wind direction is also some good research.

Every area has a shop, and a simple phone call could also advise you on the best places to go for that day.

On your approach into Ft. Desoto....did you not see all the kites at East Beach? Maybe you were trying to stay away from the crowd, but there is a reason the crowd was there and not where you were.

I feel bad for your loss of kite, and hopefully it will return in one piece, and really glad you are ok.

Lastly, you might consider my kite safety class offered at Watersports West in Largo, Florida. It runs 9-11:30am on Saturdays and will get you completely dialed in on all of the safety aspects of kiting and how to avoid simple pitfalls such as yours. Plus we cover all of the riding spots in and around Tampa Bay. The information is priceless for someone new to the sport. Ride location is one of the most important decisions you will make as a kiter.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Tom Stock

It was actually tough to see the kites yesterday... not sure why. I didn't see them until I was almost to east beach. High wind = lots of hard edging and small low kites I guess.