FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Rick Day

Well I have to give it to Rick. He has a huge set for still showing up and riding around here. He does not have a lot of fans around here. I would not show my face at ones of the Tampa Area lanches if I pulled half the stuff that he did. Just the pure fact of having a ton of pissed off kiter not wanting me around would be enough for me. I heard from someone that he was riding N. Beach a few days ago. Telling other people NON facts on what happen that day. He even said to them that he was kind of a Kamakize type of guy. Really, I have no issues running Rick off the beach if I am there riding. Just for the pure fact I dont want him trying any of his crap around me or any of my bros.

But I am with everyone getting certfied to ride. If some regulated Kite Cert Company would step in and say you need a cert to buy gear and ride at the spots I would be for it. Yeah its a pain, but it will make things safer in the long run. Also for some reason when people have to get a piece of paper with there name on it they seem to take it a little more seriously. I am actuing going to get the IKO cert pretty soon just to say I have it.

Steve-O: Does PASA have some kind of riders cert they give out like IKO does? If so are you guys going to be giving those out when you teach students once you become a PASA school? Also what would I have to do to get that cert from you guys? Oh yeah, got to try that Pro-Limit harness yesterday. It's freaking awesome, thanks for helping me out with that.

RS
Old 01-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Tricky area

I think dealing with experienced riders that make poor choices will always be a tough one to deal with. A solution to that kind of problem may never arise. Self regulation may be the only answer for this one.

However, having new people that enter the sport prove their skills through a certification process can only help on ongoing problem that we all witness more and more with each day passing. I am very happy to hear that these two that Toby originally spoke of chose to get their feet wet on a light day. A point that should be stressed to all entering the sport. Because of the light winds, nothing bad happened. Roy, there lack of apology was probably due to embarrasment.

I think everyone would agree that East Beach and Skyway North get the most activity or riders. Should rider certification be a requirement to ride these spots? Rider cert. will not guarantee smart riding by experienced riders, but will guarantee that someone entering has a certain skill level. As I told Tom Scott in an another post, I didn't ride these areas until after 6 months of working on my skills elsewhere in much less crowded and forgiving places. A philosophy I hope to share with all students I come in contact with. Did I miss alot of windy days by choosing this route....you bet....but it was the choice I made that many newbies are not making.

Using the Sebring parallel, would anyone send their 15 year old to the race track to learn how to drive? Usually, we start in an empty parking lot and work towards uncrowded neighborhoods, eventually driving on small town roads, and ultimately being skilled enough to drive on the highway. Our parents governed us well....well at least mine did. LOL! Even with that, accidents do happen. We can't govern our roads of the reckless drivers, we have to rely on public officials and laws. Luckily a liscense insures us that drivers have had to go through some type of checks and balances. But it is no guarantee of our safety. A fact we know everytime we get into a car.

I am sure this concept of rider cert. has been covered before with no real outcome. Maybe I will get shot down for these ideas...but again what can it hurt to discuss these important issues to our sport? New faces bring new discussion. Seasoned riders could easily be grandfathered in, but new folks entering is a whole other issue. This is where my focus is.

Certification would require certified instructors insuring certain skills before they leave their program. I am not even certified yet....but I am looking to the future of our sport as a rider not an instructor. This post would be no different if I was a banker or a painter.

I look forward to this discussion...I think it is needed.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM

problem is enforcing that someone has a certification..

who will be out there to police the place.

i know i wont. i usually have limited time to kite and i get to the beach, rig and ride. I typically never come off the water until i am done and then i pack up and leave.

i know a number of riders hang out on the beaches more than i but who wants to be the hall monitor ..

besides.. north skyway is not even a beach.. its just a turn about..

ft. desoto we would have to coordinate w/ the rangers .. thats official involvement that we would all like to avoid.

i TRULY think the best way to go about this is for the experienced riders to keep an eye out for any possible issues and be as professional and direct as possible.

we all know that there is a huge difference between this Rick guy's situation and the newbie on the beach that might be able to rig and somewhat ride and is showcasing some bad habits. Its the helpful attitude that will get the best response from those that want to learn and want to be involved in the sport.

ya .. there might be some times where you just want to go "what the F**K are you thinking !!!!!???!?!" ... but that gets you no where.

self policing is going to rest on the shoulders of the those that want to keep the launch areas safe.

no one else gives a crap if we have a place to ride or not.

instructors will need to solidify these habits as much as possible.. we will have to do the policing..

thats my 2 cents.

-b

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM

If someone is being a dangerous BUTTHEAD it is up to The local kiters to say so. Out of many,One. Ring a Bell?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Can't Re-member

I agree with you Jordan , we all have to step up to the plate when we see this kind of behavoir not only to prevent bans and injury but also to prevent what happened to Dennis
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Cool Kite Certs

I agree with Bryan.

In theroy, I like the idea of kite certs but it comes down to enforcement. Consider the number of laws on the books. It only matters what is enforced.

I think the direct on the beach approach is the best we have.

I do believe it would be helpful to try and get an agreed upon set of guidelines. I know we have several sources for general good practicies. These should be distributed first by local instructors and then periodaclly at our local spots.

Even a short flyer of guidelines that could be distributed at our local spots would be helpful.

I know when Byran and I started, we were active in seeking out guidence from the local riders and online groups but others may not and bascilly trying to stay as far as possbile from other riders. It was also about six months after we got our basic skills down before we moved to the Skyway.

What has/ or is worked(ing) the best in other areas?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM

The only guy able to certify locally and the best candidate for coordinating teaching for obvious reasons is Eagle.
Hopfully he still check the forum.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Flaccid Member

After what I have seen lately. I have decided that the core of us riders (most if not all read this forum) need to start being more active in talking to people about safe practices and approaching people who are being dangerous. I must say that I am the live and let live type, but I feel that I really need to make a solid effort to both help and confront when needed. The rick situation raises an interesting point. Why aren't we being more hostile toward him? Should we "let" him ride our spots without making things right with Russky? This is more a questions than a statement.
And another questions...how far should/can we go in getting rid of someone who endangers us/others? Also I like the idea of passing out local standards or best practices to anyone who we do not know. We could all carry some fliers in our kite bags. I don't know if it would help, but cannot hurt!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 PM

No ofense, but the paper hand out idea is kinda lame. Sorry.
Just say something when it needs to be said.

Now, the idea of forcing the guy out is good. If everyone at the site gathers and tells the guy to leave, he is unwanted, I bet he'll leave, no fighting no nothin. Everyone has to stand by it though, no just 1 hero. 10-15 heros. No violence though. Then you will be wrong. Theres only one person that should be ass kicking thes guy, and he's not even on here.

And as far as this forum, most riders aren't on here, only a few, very bored, people. OOPs, guess that me too

Paz
Jaime
Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 AM

does he live here now?
visiting?
staying with any local riders that might be able to talk to him?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa