FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Thumbs down bad decisions at the Skyway today

There was another close call at the Skyway North launch today. I was out on the sandbar with Amber watching the whole thing go down.

One newbie got close to another newbie late this afternoon and there appeared to be a short casual conversation between them. The wind was extremely light and when one of them tried to dive their kite, they ended up with a lull, then a gust which sent the kite into a loop and around the other newer rider's lines. The rider who was flown into was flying a 12M Turbo Diesel and immediately threw the bar (instead of trying to untangle the lines and staying calm) which now put them both at risk as the 12M Turbo Diesel powered up and began to loop. The wind was VERY light and they began to get drug. Ebone ran in quickly and grabbed the first kite (a 15 Waroo) but the TD was still powered after crashing post 2-3 kiteloops and was beginning to power itself up again. Roy ran into the water in his street clothes and helped get the second kite under control along with Trent who charged downwind and had to dive off his board, crash Ebones Ion and grab the powering Turbo Diesel. Roy walked the TD back to shore once Trent had it.

Eric said he just about sh!+ his pants when he saw his kite being dumped near this mess. Classic!

The real kicker here was that all 3 of these guys unselfishly risked a lot to help these newbies. Roy had his $500 cell phone destroyed from salt water that was in his sweatshirt pocket. This was all brought to their attention and that additional lesson(s) might be a good idea. They both shrugged it off each time saying they just need water time with one of them telling Roy "take it easy, just dry out your clothes". Not even a "I'm sorry you destroyed your cell phone saving me" or a "thank-you for saving my @$$" out of her. This rider had tried to launch with their lines crossed instead of just spinning the bar and almost took out a couple of other riders on the beach a couple of times prior to this as well.

I am pretty certain that if that had happened on a day with 5-10 knots more of wind, someone would have most likely taken a trip to the hospital if not the morgue.

Lesson learned...there are too many people just showing up to these launches and putting kites up and being careless. Stay upwind of anyone you don't know is a seasoned rider and even then stay alert. I'd be willing to bet anyone good money that someone WILL get taken out HARD (besides Dennis by Rick Day) this season...it is just a matter of time...

Last edited by toby wilson; 01-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Skyway Scott

Toby,

I saw it too. It seemed like an innocent mistake by two new riders who both still have minimal skills but are trying.

I really respect everyone helping out, but... I told Roy I was driving my truck down the beach about 40 yards (just in case) to grab a kite, if need be. We all actually just watched for several minutes before Eric decided to go in. As he went in, I drove my truck to where the kites might come ashore. They were in shallow water and able to stand.

The wind was so light that I think 3 running out in the water may have been overkill. It made it look worse than it was. The kites truly lacked any power to do anything.

After having said that, I was very impressed with everyone's willingness to help out and get wet, etc. It's great to see everyone help. Better safe than sorry, etc.

Really sorry to see Roy's phone get trashed, that's for sure.

I don't know about the TD rider, but I watched Woody (Red Waroo) all afternoon.
He walked out aways always before launching and was very aware and respectful of his surroundings. He was doing everything he could to be safe.

I bet you are right about someone getting taken out this season.
Not to be morbid, but I place my bets on someone on shore just about to launch getting tangled by a trickster close to shore. That seems to be the most dangerous place to be with a kite around here, is right on shore with your back to the action. That's where I see most tangles occur and unfortunately, trucks are usually about 1 second away.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-11-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 AM

Skyway Scott, thank you for the aditional information. Sounds like a small situation get blown up. When I see "power up" and "kite loop", some things diferent that "light wind" comes to my mind. If you were able drive your truck to the kites might come ashore, I guess the kiters were out in the water. Sounds like this is just blown up. Thanks for calming this down.

Paz
Jaime
Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 AM

I will start my reply by saying that I am not trying to give newbies in general a hard time. I myself had another QR malfunction issue and have learned my lesson to check both the CL QR and my leash QR before EVERY session going forward to make sure they aren't loose. I lost Amber's Waroo into the mangroves Wednesday morning because I didn't pay enough attention to detail. Luckily the kite was fine, not a scratch on it and I didn't pay too dearly for my mistake. I also fell hard in front of Bryan Leighty but he has enough control to avoid a falling kiter and avoided a potentially bad situation. I will be the first to say that I lucked out there too.

But I have to disagree with you Scott, a kite looping (out of control) 2-3 times and ready to launch and loop again in most ANY wind conditions and while wrapped up in someone else's lines is BAD NEWS and is nothing to downplay. This was the first time that I had seen the guy on the Red Waroo riding so I am not aware of how he was riding prior to that (I was focusing on helping Amber), but we did see the whole thing unfold and the guy on the Red Waroo is the one who (1) rode TO the Turbo Diesel rider to say something and (2) dove his kite into hers. He also dove the kite TOWARD her lines instead of tacking in the opposite direction of where her lines were in the way. Not too safety conscious in my book.

What if someone had been downwind of them when this happened? Would it not be a big deal after a 3rd innocent rider was taken out? Paz - they were out a bit but were on the "inside" still and were being very lax about getting the kites under control while getting drug downwind toward the beach and downwind at the same time. 5 more knots and it would have been a whole other ball game...

If they both had minimal skills but are trying, they should have been trying at a safer launch or doing what we were doing with Amber and walking themselves out to the sandbar and riding there. I also think that newbies should not get close to ANYONE until they are fully comfortable and confident in their kite flying skills.

Bottom line, if they had been alone there would have been consequences to the uncontrolled looping of that Turbo Diesel. Just ask Ebone and Roy who were in the thick of it, that kite had power even in the light wind.

Last edited by toby wilson; 01-11-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 AM
E-Bone

Yo, this was not "blown up" at all by Toby. I asked him yesterday to post on this because this is a problem that needs to be discussed, not swept under the rug.

I sat and watched for a bit, thinking it would be a good opportunity for these two to learn a lesson about staying away from other riders. Then the TurboDiesel started to loop, so I walked out. Even then, it didn't look like a big deal from shore but once I waded out I realized it was a clusterf*ck out there on the water. Neither newbie knew what to do to shut the kites down. Trent saved the day by riding in like the Lone Ranger and grapping the TurboDiesel after it hit the water after a kiteloop. Trent probably prevented damage to both kites, because the loops were putting a lot of pressure on the Waroo canopy and the TurboDiesel would have likely looped into some rocks or trees had it made it to shore.

The wind was light when the tangle happened, but that was a gratuity. We were all waiting for some heavy wind to switch on with sunset approaching. I had rigged and was riding a 12m. Had the wind come up as expected, this situation would have gotten sketchy fast and I would have been running away from those kites versus trying to get in there and get things untangled.

When I go to the 16m Waroo that was down, I could see that the Slingshot bar was caught up in its bridle, hence the kiteloops. There were lines all around me and I started to regret going out there when the TubroDiesel looped. There was power in it and both the Waroo rider and I were getting dragged. I had Waroo lines all over me pretty fast and I was thinking, "here we go again," with thoughts of my 2005 kitemare that involved getting dragged by two kites.

I don't think either of the newbies were being rabid *ssholes, but there was an air of nonchalance about the whole thing from them, like this is a normal part of kiteboarding. It isn't. This type of problem is what killed Silke Gorldt. Tangling with someone else's kite should be taboo in this sport, not a "small situation."

I think inexperience caused this, but trying to learn is not a good reason to go out and cause a reckless kitemare. The newbie woman looped her kite a few times and got dragged when she first tried to launch it at the start of her session and did not look comfortable flying the kite. She also came pretty close to hitting Adam with her kite before getting tangled with the other newbie. She was very friendly but I will avoid her on the water for the time being like the plague and I would be hesitant to launch her kite after what I saw yesterday.

The tide was not all that high yesterday afternoon. Riders with this kind of skill level, once they are comfortable flying their kites, need to head out to the sand bar and not get bunched up near the shore to minimize the chance of these kind of kitemares. Further, they should then stay away from other riders, especially other beginners. Bows and SLEs don't depower worth a shit when they are wrapped up together. Those two newbies just got lucky that the wind didn't jump by 8 knots after they got tangled.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Skyway Scott

I am really glad that you guys helped these new riders out and it shows what a great community we have. I don't believe a kite would have hit shore, I was there waiting for it.
At no point did a rider get dragged, there just wasn't enough wind. If they had started to get dragged, it would have been straight at where I was. I don't think that is the issue, anyway. I think posting about 2 newbies "messing up" is the issue.

I believe if you want to say something (even forcefully) say it then and there.
The main reason I hopped on here is b/c they might be reading this and might be getting upset. The are new to our scene and as such, are still relative outsiders.

Woody did his best all day to stay out of our way and avoid collision, but practice too. There was never more than 6 riders in the water and it was light and a weeknight. I saw the accident, it was not due to negligence, but lack of ability when 2 newbies got close to each other. This is going to happen. When I was on the water with them, they were of zero concern to me. If I can't ride upwind of a newb, I should quit. Anyone knowingly riding very close to and downwind of a newb is taking their chances, imo.

Recently a new rider confessed in me that she was close to quitting after someone was yelling at her (for next to nothing). That's just not right to me and this seems similar.
Something in else made us help them out, let's not let them down now.

Newbies whether we like it or not, or not going to stop coming in (in HUGE numbers).
I (and other long time riders) have watched this place go from 6 total riders, to 12, to 25, to 35, to 55, to 100, to.... you get the point. New riders (with their errors) are here to stay.

If one of those two starts to show a history of being a dweeb (like Rick Day), let's get together and have a talk with them. Until then, what newbie didn't screw up once?

I know for a fact, Woody has always been respectful and asked for advice. He takes it and wants to be safe. I first met Woody 2 seasons ago at NB. He was windsurfing and I was kiting. I bet the gal on the TD is the same. These are not two mean spirited people we are talking about, these are kiters (in the best since of the term).

Just please think about it.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-11-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Yup

Yeah E-Bone look pretty freaked out! He ran in the water when the TD powered up and started to loop. It was dragging them down wind towards the beach. Luckly the TD hit the water and died. E-bone ran out and grabbed the waroo. Then the TD powered up again and started to drag E-bone and the guy hooked up to the waroo. E-Bone just looked at me when I was the beach with this (OH CRAP HELP) look on his face. I was still in my street clothes, but F it. I just ran in to help grab the other kite. I didnt want to see E-Bone get tangled in the lines or anyone hurt. I was running to the TD to try to catch it, again it crashed in the water. I was still far from them trying to get to the TD to get it before it started to loop. Luckly Trent rode by and bascially jumped on the TD to prevent it from powering up again. Kudos to Trent, I earned a ton of respect for Trent when he went in to help. We got all the kites out of the water and everyone was ok. Yeah, so what if I trashed my phone and was soaked. I would do that for any rider if they are in real trouble. It just kind of makes me upset when they got out of the water and just had this "Its no Big deal" attitude. They are very lucky they where not out for DP that morning when I was riding and it was about 20 to 28 knots. I could see two trashed kites and both of them injured. I just hope they learned something and will try to take more caution.

On another note I did see that guy in the Red Waroo and he did seem to be riding pretty safe while I was there. He was trying to be safe and was trying to learn. I think he just lost control and dived his kite into the other person kite on accident. It just seems like whoever taught them would have said "DISTANCE is your friend." Heck even now I try to keep away from everyone as much as I can for safey reason. The other person in the TD could have used a few more lessons I think before trying to hit the water by themselves. I saw that person and scared me a few time while I was watching them ride.

Oh yeah! I did say something when they came in. I told them they where very luckly, and should be glad they where not out here this morning. I told them that one of them could of gotten seriously hurt with higher wind condition. Again I got the "Its not a big deal" attitude.

RS
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
II also fell hard in front of Bryan Leighty but he has enough control to avoid a falling kiter and avoided a potentially bad situation. I will be the first to say that I lucked out there too.

Note to self (and others)...

stay upwind of Toby.

I was not there to see the accident but I do know that it takes nothing for a kite to go too far in one direction quickly.. and I have been in situations where my kite has come damn close to hitting another riders kite.

I guess its reading about the attitude of the riders after the accident that upsets me the most.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
II also fell hard in front of Bryan Leighty but he has enough control to avoid a falling kiter and avoided a potentially bad situation. I will be the first to say that I lucked out there too.

Note to self (and others)...

stay upwind of Toby.

I was not there to see the accident but I do know that it takes nothing for a kite to go too far in one direction quickly.. and I have been in situations where my kite has come damn close to hitting another riders kite.

I guess its reading about the attitude of the riders after the accident that upsets me the most.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 AM
tomstock

You guys did the right thing helping them out. Part of being a beginner is being ignorant to what can and will happen when things go bad. You can't blame them for playing it off as no big deal, they just don't know yet what it feels like to be dragged 100 yards across sand and rocks unable to disconnect from an out of control kite.

I was the same way when I started... I was overconfident and fearless, and I am also lucky to be alive as are most of us that have been through a few REAL kitemares. I know E-Bone, Josh, Bayflite, Scott, Jay, Raul, etc, have so they know what I mean. C'mon Toby we could have done this to you for all of the antics you've pulled since you started! Riding backside and looping the kite into trees, the down winder recently where all of you guys lost your boards .. that fact is that this sort of thing happens when you are starting out and it's part of the learning experience.. so there is no reason to jump all over them.

In 8mph winds, I really don't think this was was a big deal.. it was merely an inconvenient learning experience for both riders. No need to get on here and roast them publicly... just a description of what happened is enough.

I think there is a difference between self regulation and public humiliation. We don't want this sport to turn into surfing where newbies get beat up on the beach for dropping in on someone else's wave.... While I don't like the idea of overcrowding, I can't live with the fact that we may be chasing beginners away and crushing their dreams of learning to kiteboard. I've had this happen to me in other sports and it's a horrible feeling that would not want anyone else to feel.

Save the yelling and public beatings for the experienced rider who KNOWS BETTER and does this sort of thing out of complete disregard for himself and those around him! You know, like jumping and landing on shore, jumping and landing on other riders, and tangling lines, etc.

So hey guys, if you are reading this, no harm done but be careful.

Roy, remove the battery and soak the phone in fresh water. Let it dry out for a few days in a sunny warm place and put in a NEW battery. It will work fine. Been through this many times.

Looks like a beautiful day to ride. I hope you guys are enjoying DP while I'm sitting at work

-tom

Last edited by tomstock; 01-11-2007 at 09:01 AM.