FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Travel
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default STILTSVILLE!

There is a place not so far from Miami that resembles the islands, has calm water even in higher winds and looks exotic. People tend to pileup on each other as they almost always seem to do. Then again, if they chose to spread out you could loose HUNDREDS of kiters in the expanse of Biscayne Bay to the south. The further away you go from Miami to the south, the more exotic is seems. The following is just one of several articles on this intriguing area. Another previous article APPEARS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_Santacruz
Hey everyone, gonna be in miami tomorrow from 6 p.m., gonna stay around brickell with a friend. Trip is to party and pick up some kite gear, but if there is wind i want to ride. What is the forecast looking like? Will be at grass tomorrow as a friend from here will be DJing, anyone wanna come welcome, would be cool to meet some local kiters.
Best Winds,
Andres
Hello Andres,

The forecast keeps evolving so I would watch it closely. The prediction has been for wind for some days but the direction and intensity have been varying.

It looks like it may be a bit stronger to the south, e.g. Fowey and the Keys than north, say Miami Beach to Ft. Lauderdale. The flats of Biscayne Bay around Fowey seem to benefit from the Keys higher winds on ocassion.

Checkout the forecasts north and south of the dividing line south of Ocean Reef: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

The forecast winds are predicted to be offshore at most of the Miami shoreside launches (NW to N). What to do? A roadtrip to Marco or stay in Miami and hit the flats south of Key Biscayne by boat. I recently went out there for a GREAT session with Ty Luckett of Kite Hatteras.Net and Kent and a bunch of Cabrinha guys (TONS of great photos to follow soon). Ty has left for Cape Hatteras for the summer hopefully to return to Miami next winter.

The The Kitehouse - Miami is here and running a boat out to the flats around Stiltsville from here on out. I just checked and Clarissa and Mike of the Kitehouse plan to be heading the sea taxi out to Stitsville for some riding this weekend.

Clarissa visits AJ at The Kitehouse - Nassau in the Bahamas
Photo from cross-shore.com

Could be fun. I am trying to make it down myself for some kite time and shooting.

Ty hits it miles from shore in good wind in all that calm, clear, warm water.

Ty lobs a launch off his boat as Andrea gets ready to hit it herself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Headed down to the area south of Key Biscayne and around Stiltsville today. Andres and Jeff came out along with Mike, Clarissa and myself. There were quite a few kiters out in the area as well. Despite that, we largely had the whole area all to ourselves. Calm, fairly warm, no excessive gusts even though the wind was off the land, almost seven miles to the west. Mike and Clarissa of The Kitehouse - Miami delivered an outstanding Sea Taxi session and then some. It was a great day, complete article and photos to follow. It was good to see you again Andres, nice to meet you Jeff.

A newly discovered (for some of us), riding area with calm water and fairly common good winds is born and right in Miami. It is huge so there should be no reason for crowding unless people jam together furballs (as they seem to be mysteriously prone to do at times). No beaches to hassle over, only about 100 square miles of open shallow water between Key Biscayne and Key Largo to the south.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi