FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Sunday Downwinder

Hey all,
I usually ride the ocean on Hatteras and I'm down visiting over on the east coast at Melbourne. Sunday looks like it might be good winds in the Tampa/St Pete area and I'm thinking about making the drive over. I'd really like to grab a downwinder on the gulf. I've ridden DeSoto on a NW and its great but can anyone suggest a good downwinder on the gulf or is anyone going to "downwind" it that day? I've got my girlfriend with me to pick me up when its over so I'm covered as to a ride back.
Thanx
Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Skyway Scott

I am planning on doing a DW Sunday with a few others.
Your girlfriend doesn't really have to pick you up.
The trolley stops every quarter mile and can take us back upwind for a buck fifty. Or, we can drop one vehicle at the Undertow and then go North.

Should be a great DW day.
Keep in touch on here and we will figure it out as the time nears and give directions, etc.
Last time (a couple weekends ago) we went from John's Pass to the Undertow and it was great. We took lunch/drink break after the DW and then rode in front of the 'Tow for a couple more hours after the break.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:32 AM
invisible

Just make sure you wear booties and a rash guard or something... you need a shirt and shoes to get on the trolley. John's pass to undertoe (beach just before the big pink castle where the volleyball nets are) is a good ride. T.I. to undertoe is great too since there is free parking at T.I.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:33 AM

I was thinking about doing one too.

Scott,
How long did that take you guys to go from John's Pass to Undertow? I suppose it could be as slow or fast as you want, but just curious how much time it would typically take if you're not too worried about staying up wind and just jumping and slashing the whole way.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 02-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Skyway Scott

I like to "milk" but not worry to make it last awhile.
What I do is ride waves, jump etc. real hard for ten minutes, then relax while going back upwind a ways and do "a third" of the same spot again. So, I could easily make it last 2.5 hours.

But, 1.5 hours easy for the average approach (of just slowly going downwind and never backtracking) or if you wanted to surf everything in sight and always go downwind and jump and go insane, 50 minutes. You could always start more north and stretch it that way, too.

Roberto and I rode from Sand Key to the Undertow 2 years ago.
I took my approach (bad idea) and after 3 hours we stopped short pretty tired (overpowered on C-kites and the edging upwind killed us... dumb).

That's a huge advantage of the trolley is that it doesn't matter where you stop. The trolley doesn't care what your original plan was. A girlfriend does, should you not ever get there and she is just waiting. Stuff breaks, and sometimes you have to stop short.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:09 AM

yesterday we went from sand key/belaire beach to undertow.
took about 3 hours.
make sure you bring quarters for the trolly!
they dont take bills.
peace
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanx.
Where exactly is the Undertow? My girlfriend will prolly hang out there or on the beach waiting.
Booties might be an issue for me tho'. Dont have any. Guess I could hit a beach shop and get a cheapo area.
I'll check in later. I'll be driving over early Sun AM so I might not be able to access the internet unless there's a wi-fi near the "starting point"
Dennis
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Undertow Beach Bar

3850 Gulf Blvd (Cross Street: East Mariatana Drive)
St Pete Beach, FL 33706-3933

Map: http://maps.citysearch.com/map/view/2692916

SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 1000000
DECLARE
y number := 31;
asciiname VARCHAR2(30);
BEGIN
FOR x in 31..126
LOOP
select chr(y)
INTO asciiname
FROM dual;
dbms_output.put_line('chr('||Y||') = '||' '||asciiname);
Y := y + 1;
END LOOP;
END;
/
Old 02-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Cool booties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitecreep View Post
Thanx.
Where exactly is the Undertow? My girlfriend will prolly hang out there or on the beach waiting.
Booties might be an issue for me tho'. Dont have any. Guess I could hit a beach shop and get a cheapo area.
I'll check in later. I'll be driving over early Sun AM so I might not be able to access the internet unless there's a wi-fi near the "starting point"
Dennis
Sun Coast Surf Shop in Treasure Island has a great selection and decent pricing on booties...and some great deals on wetsuits right now.

Have a great DW ride in the waves! Wish I was there (I'm on the flats for now )
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 02-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Skyway Scott

I am just gonna' cram some flip flops in my wetsuit. Anything on your feet will work.
As of now, I think we are meeting at the Undertow at 9:30 am and then driving North.
We will leave a vehicle or two at the 'Tow. If anyone shows up, you can come up with us.
If along the way someone breaks down, well... trolley time.
Otherwise we will finish the DW at the 'tow, take a lunch break, ride a little more in front of the UT, and then go back up North probably around 2pm.