FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
I just got back. It was blowing 4. It says 17.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...149&siteID=812
hah!

last summer just before alberto came through I was planning a trip to OBX. Had hotel lined up.. everything..

i called one of the kite shops to talk about the wind meters on ikitesurf and get a feeling for how accurate they are. I just asked him "Are the wind meters that are on ikite pretty close to actual wind speeds" and the guy was confused on why I would be asking such a dumb question..

I had to give him the 20 second explanation that I live in a town where the wind meters suck donkey ass.

After that, he understood why I would ask and told me that they were pretty much dead on.

ahhh.. to live in such a place.

magical it would be.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 PM
tomstock

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
I am done. I injured myself yesterday evening while, of all things, fighting with Tiki over a dog toy. I only outweigh her by 180 pounds. Then I decided to push weight this morning anyhow and do my upper body workout--not a good idea. I think I'll sit this one out and take Mrs. E Bone (aka Mizzle) out shopping later.

It's blowing down here in Bradenton, no question about that. Weird weather. Can't see to make up its mind as to what it wants to do.
I am also out. My board hit me in the shin when my foot slipped out just before landing. I thought my leg was broken, but in denial I rode for another hour on one leg. When I got home something else snapped and suddenly I was on the ground rolling around in pain unable to do anything except groan and roll... fast forward 5 hours... just got back from the Emergency Room, I am wacked out on motrin and perkasets and I still cannot walk or stand on my left leg. Even with pain killers the pain is through the roof. I have to go to an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. I am screwed.

Moral of the story, do not jump with heavy wooden boards.

Last edited by tomstock; 12-21-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM
E-Bone

Damn, Tom, that sux and I am sorry to hear it. My injury is a muscle strain and I will Advil it into submission within the next few days, but it sounds like you went a bit further. What's up? Do you have a fracture? They must have done x-rays, I imagine.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:42 AM
tomstock

I wish it were as simple as a fracture.

I chopped the tendon on the shin. You know, like the achillies but on the front. It's the one that pulls your foot up and down at the ankle. While I was limping around it tore and my foot was immediately pulled down fully because of the tension on the achilies..

I have been up all night writhing in pain. Painkillers are doing very little. At this point I cannot move my foot. In fact, I can't even feel my foot. All I can feel is pins and needles below the ankle. I can move my toes though which is good.

The ankle however I can feel... it including calf, knee, theigh and left buttox are in intense pain. Imagine the worst muscle spasm of your life (the ones that make you drop to the ground) in every muscle of your leg, never ending.

The pain killers help but even after that help I can't do much but groan and hold my breath as it throbs. I still have not been able to sleep.

this sucks. I can tell now that I am going to need surgery and I am not going to be riding for a long time.

The best part is that I was free to ride all weekend up through tuesday, and my 12m waroo will probably arrive in the mail tomorrow.

F@#$.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
I wish it were as simple as a fracture.

I chopped the tendon on the shin. You know, like the achillies but on the front. It's the one that pulls your foot up and down at the ankle. While I was limping around it tore and my foot was immediately pulled down fully because of the tension on the achilies..

I have been up all night writhing in pain. Painkillers are doing very little. At this point I cannot move my foot. In fact, I can't even feel my foot. All I can feel is pins and needles below the ankle. I can move my toes though which is good.

The ankle however I can feel... it including calf, knee, theigh and left buttox are in intense pain. Imagine the worst muscle spasm of your life (the ones that make you drop to the ground) in every muscle of your leg, never ending.

The pain killers help but even after that help I can't do much but groan and hold my breath as it throbs. I still have not been able to sleep.

this sucks. I can tell now that I am going to need surgery and I am not going to be riding for a long time.

The best part is that I was free to ride all weekend up through tuesday, and my 12m waroo will probably arrive in the mail tomorrow.

F@#$.

Really sorry to hear that Tom, must have had something to do with those nasty Best bow kites! (JUST KIDDING). But I sincerely feel bad man. Last year when I cut my palm and had to get stitches (not even close to the severity of what this sounds like), I was out for just a month or so and it felt like an eternity. Really sorry this happened to you man, wish it weren't so bad...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Skyway Scott

Crap! I just read this. Man, that sucks. Was it tibialis anterior and are you going to need a surgery? If so, the doc that did my ACL is simply the best.

If no surgery I hope it heals up soon. Sorry to hear that Tom, injuries flat out suck.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Flaccid Member

Tom,
Sorry brother...I hope for the best or at least that they give you better drugs for the pain.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:35 AM
tomstock

Thanks guys. I finally got an hour of sleep. The pain is a little more manageable this morning but I still cant drive because I have a stick shift.

Once I am able to drive again I'll come out and shoot video while you guys are riding.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Can't Re-member

Too bad brother, Hope you get well soon
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury, Tom. I am an occupational therapist and have worked with several tendon repairs (mostly hands, shoulders, and achilles). You can expect them to reattach/sew the tendon back, place you in a boot in which you will be immobilized for 6-8 weeks, non-weight bearing, then eventually move on to passive range of motion, active range of motion, on to resistance. I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but this injury will take a long time to heal. And it is imperative that you adhere to your orthopod's strict rules. Good luck!!