FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Skyway Scott

I went out right after that post about seeing the beach cam.
It was AWESOME when I first got there. Right at the upper teens, maybe 20, really clean waves (as good as the Gulf gets in that kinda wind).

I rode for about a half hour, maybe 45 minutes, and then it went straight to 3 knots. Well, 3 knots of wind in 3 knots of sideshore drift ain't cutting it.

I had a nice swim to end my session.
So, don't feel too bad.

Oh. I got a classic question, this is probably my least favorite - "Why aren't you still riding?" (I am walking my stuff back, tired from swimming)
"Well, you see, this sport requires wind".
I guess some people might think the kite has it's own power supply? I don't know, but I get asked that question too much, especially after a swim in. It's pretty annoying!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Can't Re-member

I'm glad you got some Scott,

And

even happier you posted after you got back cause it makes me feel soo much better not rushing out there just to be disappointed
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Talk about regional winds. It blew from about 2pm to sundown at IRB. Was nicely powered on an 11M. At the time of this post, CLW still shows 20's NW and Skyway....2mph E. That just confirms just about everything Scott said about forecasting. It is so general.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 PM

I was at Sunset with a couple guys and it ripped. I rode solo for most of the day until the others arrived. 17-20knots easy for most of the afternoon.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Skyway Scott

Sounds like I needed to drive more North... ughhh...
What's sad is that I know better... lol.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 AM

I was out on at near John's Pass last night and it was blowing 12 -18 until the rain would come in and kill it for a while. It was fun to ride with chest high waves rolling in.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM

I got out to IRB at about 4:45 and it was backing off, at around 5:15 it started cranking big time straight outta the west with maybe a tad of north. Kinda hard to stay off shore but one of the more fun sessions I have had, I love playing in the surf. I was putting my gear away in the dark and it picked up even more after the sun went down!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Skyway Scott

That was fun being in waves, even if they were only a certain size.
It has been SO long since I encountered anything resembling a wave, that it felt a little awkward at first, actually.

I wish the waves were always so nice here. I was really wishing I had a surf board yesterday. I rode upwind to Upham, and the waves were decent, but not large enough to ride on just a TT.
I want to buy a surf board for riding, but I still can't decide if it's worth it for our downwinders and our size of waves.
It probably is, I may as well just get one.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Waves

Thats funny, since I have moved to PC getting a Flat water session is a treat! LOL We get a lot of waves up here and I love it! Damien LeeRoy was up here on Tuesday. We had mid 20's all day with overhead waves. I am going to upload the pics to my site tonight but here are a few of Damien. Enjoy!

RS

Last edited by shogun1204; 10-25-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 PM

ikitesurf.com has a nice "right now" that works well, bay news 9 has the lightning and bad stuff radar.

Forecasts only get my hopes up and end up dashing them when I'm either in the office because it said the wind was non existent and it's nuking in reality or if I'm off that day because it said it would be windy and it's like nonexistent.

My crystal ball does not do wind reports either...

-Roadie