FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Travel
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Headed to FL at the end of July

Hey everyone!! My wife and I are going to FL on the 18th of July and will be there for about a week. I have a friend that lives in Miami and will be staying with his family. He has been kite boarding for a couple years now and has been hounding me to try it, and I think this is the trip where I'm going to give it a go. I used to surf, but haven't for about 3 years so I was hoping I might get a chance to surf too. Does anyone know a good spot in the surrounding area to surf? Charlie, my friend, and I used to rock climb a bit, so he said he knows a good spot where we can climb a bit, and possibly fish! I'm sure trying to get my rock climbing gear together will be a fiasco in itself. I am definitely excited about the trip, because I haven't had a chance to see my friend in years! Also, I can't help but be excited I'll get a chance to Kite board and surf! Can't wait!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

For both kiting and in many cases for surfing too, you need useable wind. As a rule wind is in short supply in July. Of course the same could be said about June and we've had an unusual amount of lower wind/breeze so far. You might get lucky in July.

If there is a distant storm center you may well get local swells for surfing even without wind here. Some folks surf just north of Government Cut at South Beach in Miami. Regarding kitesurfing, bad news, it is a poor idea to try to do it without quality pro instruction. We're up to about 120 kiter fatalities, a number of those well intended new kiters trying to learn on their own since 2000 worldwide. There have been a lot more serious but survived accidents than that. Best advice would be to find some good local instruction. Lots of leads to instructors on this site and some interview questions to ask them at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Have a great trip!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi