FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Arrow Cabrinha 2014 Kiteboarding Gear

NEW for 2014 from Cabrinha Kiteboarding ...

First a general overview ...

(go to Cabrinha Kites website for the full low down)

Now to kites ...

and to boards ...

Innovative control bars ...

There is a lot more gear from Cabrinha this season, checkout the Cabrinha website, your local retailer and participate in demos in your area to learn more.

See you out there and good winds!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-01-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some photos of the products in action off Maui.

lite

But it didn't seem to slow him down

Interesting new board, short, wide and fast in the light stuff

Annabel ride by, looking good!

There is a great deal more new gear this season, checkout the post above and still more information on http://www.cabrinhakites.com

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM

Hi Rick. Thanks for the Cab 2014 update.

Can ASM come on and help with a few questions?

The 1x overdrive bar comes in the 1x (49-57 cm) and the 1xl (57-65). The catalog states that the 1xl must be used with the Contra for the full function of the security system. If the 1x adjusts to the minimum size of the 1xl (57 cm) what else is different about the 1XL bar that wont let the 1x bar function properly on the Contra?

If the new 1x and 1xl bars are now on a single line flagging system, this seems to make them compatible with a lot of kites (looks like the high Y in the kite lines is gone). Is this also true with using the 2014 bars on 2011/2012/2013 kites?

Switchblade. Did this year lose re-launch performance? The catalog shows the re-launch rating as something like a 8 out of 10.

Also, did we lose any low-end or wind range this year?

Thanks. I've been thinking about a few new Switchblades for sometime now.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Hello troubleshooter
We have not received the 2014 kites but they should be in any day. Once we get our hands on the kites we will be immediately hosting a demo.

"The 1x overdrive bar comes in the 1x (49-57 cm) and the 1xl (57-65). The catalog states that the 1xl must be used with the Contra for the full function of the security system. If the 1x adjusts to the minimum size of the 1xl (57 cm) what else is different about the 1XL bar that wont let the 1x bar function properly on the Contra?"

I am pretty sure you can use the either bar with the kite. Cabrinha recommends the bigger bar so the kite will turn faster. To get the most of the turning speed a bigger bar really helps with the big kites.
With regards to security system, The catalog reads "Contra kite must be used with Overdrive 1XL
Control System. The bar adjusts from 57-65cm
with 24m line length
The new kites flag out off of a single line so a different bar length should have no effect on the safety system.

If the new 1x and 1xl bars are now on a single line flagging system, this seems to make them compatible with a lot of kites (looks like the high Y in the kite lines is gone). Is this also true with using the 2014 bars on 2011/2012/2013 kites?

The 2014 bar should work fine with the older Cabrinha Kites. With the removal of the IDS landing line they were able to bring the Y split closer to the bar than the IDS bar. This will be nice for a lot of reason. My favorite will be the new bar will be much easier to untangle if the front lines get crossed with the back.

Switchblade. Did this year lose re-launch performance? The catalog shows the re-launch rating as something like a 8 out of 10.

The feedback on the relaunch is good. The switchblade is still super easy to get off the water. They gave the highest rating to the Vector for relaunch.

Also, did we lose any low-end or wind range this year

The feedback I am getting is the low end on the switchblade has improved.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions I can.

Luke
Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 AM

Thanks Luke for the feedback. Look forward to checking them out when they come in.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Last Friday we received our first shipment of 2014 Cabrinha Kites. I immediately went down to the ocean and flew the new 12m Switchblade. The winds were lite but I was able to make a couple of runs on with a 5"10" surfboard. Here is some first impressions.
- Self Launching the kite off the beach was easy in 11 gusting 14mph winds.
- Turning the kite felt really nice and direct. This is probably due to the removal of the pulleys on bridal and the lower V on the front lines.
- The new bar was easy to adjust. I set the leader lines to the widest point while the kite was flying.
-The Kite was rock solid when inflated and looked really well built.
-The bar pressure was about the same as the 2013 kite. But the wind was lite so it was hard to gauge.
-The kite felt like it had more power than the 2013. I was able to ride and there was two guys out on 16s.
-I hit the QR and landed the kite on the beach. The bar slid away way quicker then the IDS landing line and the kite landed softly leading edge down on the sand.
-I attached the steering lines to the third knot for lite wind. The kite did backstall a little when I was taking off. I switched the attachment to the second knot and the problem was fixed. So middle knot is the way to go for this year.
- Overall I think Cabrinha nailed it this year.
When we get the next solid forecast Adventure Sports Ft. Lauderdale will have a demo. If anyone has any questions fire away.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for your input Luke. How about all this unusual August breeze to wind to try kiting stuff in? Question, what changes in performance do you see in the 2014 Drifter vs. the 2013 model?

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM

"The 1x overdrive bar comes in the 1x (49-57 cm) and the 1xl (57-65). The catalog states that the 1xl must be used with the Contra for the full function of the security system. If the 1x adjusts to the minimum size of the 1xl (57 cm) what else is different about the 1XL bar that wont let the 1x bar function properly on the Contra?"

I did some research regarding the bigger bar for the Contra and the safety system. It turns out that for the Safety system to work properly the bigger bar is necessary. The flag out line on the XL bar is longer. So when the QR is hit the bar will slide away and give ample slack to the other lines so the kite is totally depowered. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the update. So the 1XL bar has 24 meter lines which are probably longer than the 1x bar (couldn't find the line length readily). So that means the flag line length matches the longer lines on the XL bar. I am assuming they are doing this because the 15 and 17 meter contra kite is a longer kite than the biggest Switchblade and would need more of the flagging line to pull through to completely flag (straighten out) the kite.

With that said, a line extension kit would also do the job correct(?) Just like they have 3 meter extension line sets just add an extra 3 meter of flagging line and you have the same set up?

I have not seen how the flagging line acts. Is it a completely independent line that connects to the bridal side by side with the front line? The video shows a dedicated flag label on one of the front lines. Is this just to have a visual marker or perhaps is the flag line somehow attached (sewn) to the front line that has the flag label?

Thanks

Last edited by troubleshooter; 09-16-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Hi Troubleshooter

The new safety system on the 2014 Cabrinha bar is set up a little different than other brands. The flag out line is a separate line that runs along the front flying line. It does not go all the way up to the kite. When the release is activated you are connected to the safety line ( essentially this a long version of a mini 5th line)
So using line extensions will not have any effect. This 1xl bar comes with a longer mini 5th line to compensate for the bigger kite.

I know it sounds a little confusing. But when you look at the lines it is a really simple design.