FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah I almost got knocked out cold by one of cindy/randys friends last night at the skyway. Guy was only 20 yards upwind of me (we were the only two kiters on the water b/c sun was going down), and decided to boost. Well he came directly at me like a damn ninja with his board pointed at me and, luckily, landed about 7ft upwind of me. It amazed me that he was surprised how far downwind he ended up after the jump. Tried explaining to me that he picks up speed so he can jump and continue in the same direction. I'm thinking...."WTF??!! It doesn't work like that!" So I tell him you're always going to go downwind during a jump. Doubt he listened. I also noticed quite a few other newbies out there. My take on the situation is this.....

You guys won't see me down there again....unless it's a night ride. My first time riding skyway really showed me what a f-kin zoo that place is and makes me appreciate my own riding spots. I like the riding area very much but there's way too many people there. I see the inherent dangers that exist, but feel very comfortable navigating through them. I don't feel comfortable with so many noobies out there, considering the fact that I almost got sent to the hospital and another noob DID get sent. How is it that they received instruction and don't know wtf they are doing??? I also didn't care too much for the vibe out there. A few nice people for sure. More than a few with the "my kite's bigger than yours ego" that I don't care for. Reminds me of surfing. So now a big problem exists. Lessons are being taught at the skyway and the new students are learning to ride there after the lessons. New riders will make mistakes. SW isn't a spot to make mistakes. Inevitably, it's going to get shut down b/c of riders like these and EB is gonna get all the spillover. So what's next? East beach is where those lessons/mistakes should be taking place. It's a much more foregiving area. WSW goes out of there way to teach in very safe environments and tells there students NOT TO RIDE THE SKYWAY. I wish the rest would do the same. I consider any new rider at the skyway a "cowboy." It took me since november to build my skills enough that I would consider venturing out there for the first time. Well, not again. I really appreciate my riding areas now and the people who I ride with regularly. my .02knots

-sean