FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Okay... who was at Belleair beach?

There was a yellow Crossbow and then a blue bow, not sure if it was a crossbow or not.

South of me, there was an octane/machine... steve?

I've been riding a one board 2 kite quiver for a long time... I start riding from about 13knots+ I haven't reached the top end yet.

2005 fuels, 9m and 13m and a 122cm Caution Redline board. All works out for me.

But, I do want more low end... so I'm looking for a good kite for low end. I don't want it to overlap my 13m fuel too much though, that one is my favorite kite. So, I'm trying to decide between kites, and I won't buy something without one-pump(I'm lazy). So, it's between the Ion (I really don't want a bow) and a Machine 17.5.

That's whenever I get money though :lol:
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 AM

bow = more versatile, better low end, larger wind range, lighter bar pressure, better depower, etc etc etc..

telling ya man.. when i tried the waroo in super gusty winds i was SOLD on the bow kite. i had been holding down an 11m C and fighting it all day. i got on Ebones 9m waroo.. it had more power but less pull (if that makes sense).. it was SO much easier to move in the sky and has the ability to stop on a dime by letting out the bar.

The companies sell them as being super safe and 100% depower... well.. that is still the big question as I believe the kite makers have some years of R n D to perfect these babies.. but for now, they are pretty damn close once you understand their tendencies and respect that they still are a dangerous kite.

I can tell you that body dragging to your board on a BOW is beyond easy compared to a C. the ability to sheet out and swim to the board without dropping the kite cuts down on the shark-bait minutes.. seriously..

The ION looks amazing .. I have not got a session in on one..
I am 100% happy with my 12m Waroo. It has allowed me to ride in 12+ winds on a big board and have a blast when it gets to 14+..

there are other high performance BOWs as well.. i simply prefer the ones with simple 4 line bars..

I will definitely be getting a larger BOW .. either an ION or a 2007 Waroo (they are adding battons like the IONs to help trailing edge flutter)

I rode a C kite yesterday and still had a freakin blast. A kite is a kite of course.. i personally just think a BOW gives you more for the $$$ spent.

thats my 2 cents.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
tomstock

Yeah, big thanks to Chris for letting me ride his Ion. I think I'll be getting one soon.

Some downsides of the bows though...constant bar pressure... not more or less but constant... so it sort of tires my arms. I suppose you get used to it. I ride my kites powered up with the bar out so I can relax my arms...

Some bow kite owners are using special adjustable stoppers to accomplish this.. seems like a good idea. That would make the bow kite experience pretty darn good.

Still need to experiment with the safety mechanisms though. I just dont trust the bow kite safety mechanisms at this point, but I do like the kites.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM

I'd get a bow if I had an all bow quiver... but even then, I like my C's. It makes no difference to me now if I get a bow, since I only need one for the low end so it really won't make my quiver any smaller.

Plus, they fly different... just watching them fly I can tell. I don't want to have to get used to a bow then constantly be changing kites and having to get the feel back and have my timing off.

I'm leaning more towards the machine, but I guess only time will tell.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:57 PM

id have to agree, ive only flown a few bows, but going from a C to a bow and back to a C does tend to throw off my timing
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 PM

2006 used 16m crossbow for $850

http://www.floridakiting.com/pages/usedkites.html
Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 PM

i swapped between a bow and a c yesterday and it is a shock to the system for a tack or two .. you are allowed more room for error on a bow, very little on a C. someone that learns and rides on only a bow will not be able to ride a C very well.. I see injuries a-plenty in this type of situation.

But anyone that has a season under their belt on a C and moves to a BOW should have the smarts and experience to have both types in their quiver.

think C kites will be around in 3 years? 2 years? In some way or another I am sure they will .. but i suspect a small percentage ..

I know that the BEST nemesis for 2007 is kinda a hybrid looking thing.. like a high aspect bow kite..

many of the Pros ride only C's for particular reasons, but 99% of all riders are just out there to safely enjoy their time on the water and anything that makes it safer and cost effective will become the mainstay.

Now.. about that "safer" part... thats a whole nuther conversation.

here's a GREAT read on the BOW kite subject with lots of input from Bruno Legainoux himself ... (check out his video of his new 4.5 meter BOW kite in light wind.... AMAZING.. )

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewt...ghlight=future

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM

As long as I'm kiting, there will be C kites
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Gotta agree with Kevin. I learned with my C's and I really haven't had any interest in flying a bow yet...

Hope to see you joining team Slingshot Machine Kev!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
tomstock

Agreed, I like my C's... when hybrids come down in price and the safety mechanisms are worked out I'll make the switch. Until then, I have 5 kites to last me the next X years...