FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Offshore windshift ---> Lost Kite

A kiter was riding a prototype Sling Shot Raptor kite yesterday when the wind suddenly shifted offshore. The rider tried to make back to shore but pronounced lulls made keeping the kite flying difficult. After drifting offshore a ways they decided to release the kite. The southwesterly winds continued until about 3 am after the windshift around 5:20 pm off Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

The kite likely dragged the bar and lines along northeast until captured by the Florida Current moving the lot north north east at around 3 kts. on top of wind drift. After around 3 am easterly winds returned likely shoving the lot in a north north west direction.

Ok, for extra points, where will the kite land, along what beach???

a. Pompano to Boca Raton
b. Delray to Lake Worth
c. Palm Beach to Jupiter
d. North of Tequesta
e. A warm core gyre will orbit the kite back to Ft. Lauderdale?

The prototype kite belongs to Hamish, who loaned it to a close friend. Hamish understandably would like to get it back. If you find it or hear word, please tell us about it here or email flkitesurfer at hotmail.com

p.s. - work to anticipate windshifts from weather planning, and be on the lookout for shift signs around the time you expect it to move. Stay closer to shore around that time. If in doubt, land, it beats swimming or losing gear. If you can't self rescue with the new wind direction, consider side stroking the lot in. You may need to lessen the profile of the kite to ease wind drag. Your impact vest and strong swimming skills should make the whole process easier and less problematical.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

No guesses on the kite lost in the Florida Current, now likely Gulfstream? They write books about stuff like this. Never read any of them but that is besides the point. Any leads or sightings?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM

I vote "D" it probably did make it to the Gulfstream since it was blown offshore for 10+ hours, it may take a while to get blown back to shore.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Does "lessening the profile" mean letting air out of the kite?
I don't think that's a good idea.
Flip the kite, lay on the LE with legs extended down the center strut and overhand swim back in. Not so commonly known as the Offshore/ Upwind method. (it works in offshore winds or going back upwind to get your board)

Here's a pic:
http://kiteboardingtampabay.com/inde...111&Itemid=101
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Conditions will vary along with rider abilities. Still, kites with fully inflated leading edges can create a lot of wind drag on the water. In my experience at some times in the distant past, too much drag to swim in over much of a distance or in very strong winds either. If the wind is dead offshore or even side offshore to where using the kite to sail in isn't practical, the only choice for a self rescue is to swim in. When I had to do this, I took some, not all, of the air out of the leading edge (only, leave the struts alone), I then towed the kite in from one corner. There was no way for me to make in against the offshore wind, pretty light wind too without lessening the profile. I either held station or drifted offshore despite swimming continuously. I usually secure the chicken loop from my kite into a footstrap of my board to deal with those issues. If there is boat traffic or tangle hazards, another approach might have to be used. If I have to pass through a surf zone, I may modify things further. Not sure why you would want to but you can even reinflate the leading edge by mouth, somewhat. Never fun but doable.

I think all kiters should wear impact vests or suitable pfds for kiting conditions. At times like this they really show their value. They can be a big help the rest of the time with more routine procedures as well.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500EPILOT View Post
I vote "D" it probably did make it to the Gulfstream since it was blown offshore for 10+ hours, it may take a while to get blown back to shore.
I was leaning that direction myself JP. Still, been wrong before. You know, you lose a board well offshore, estimate its position, make to the beach and wait where you think it will beach. That is unless you see it coming in first. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes it makes it in a lot faster and closer than I thought.

Other guesses???

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi