FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Sand bag self launch?

How come no one seems to use the sand bag on the wingtip method? You set the sand bag, better than just sand, on the inside of the wingtip, not folded over, with the rest of the kite pointed down wind. Make sure to use enough sand so you're sure it won't move. Then walk back and hook in, with leash on flag-out line, and tension lines. Kite should be at edge of wind window and ready for launch.

You do have to steer the kite a bit to dump the sand bag but then off it goes. Thing about this method over the leading edge down is that most wingtips are heavily reinforced and there are no bladders to get popped like leading edge down method and it does not drag your kite for a distance like leading edge down can.

Would like to hear input on this method since I haven't seen anyone do it here. It seems to work pretty good in higher winds if fixed object isn't available.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:57 PM

ive self launched waroos w/ fold over sanded wingtip.. (not good for bladder) ... i know that sanding or using sandbag on non-folded wingtip works..
its another method of course..
it just not needed..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I know about the fixed object, dog stake, and sandbag methods, but obviously none are feasible for a downwinder. I read Scott's posts about it in the past, just haven't been comfortable enough to try it yet. I like to ask everyone that talks about self launching about their prefered way, cause I know there's been some days i haven't gone out after work cause I was by myself and wasn't comfortable trying it myself. Sounds like I'll have to give it a go in lite winds
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

you can do both on DW.....

instead of a sand bag, just use sand

and instead of a stake, just use one of the signs on the beach, or a picnic table, theres lots of things to hook up to

heck, when i went to cocoa with allen, i launched him, then called over the maintenance guys on their 4 wheeler and hooked my CL to the back of it
should have seen the lok on there face
and it was blowing 35........
Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 PM

walk up to any of the local instructors Randy, Steve-O, Steve, Matt, Doug etc. and ask them what it would cost for a half hour lesson to show you hands on how to self launch the actual kite you own and use. What ever the cost is (and it will be less than you would expect) will be well worth it, just in self confidence when you are by yourself doing it. Nothing like seeing done, doing it, and being able to ask questions while it is happening. Don't try to learn to self launch on the computer, just too many things can go wrong and mess up your gear and your self. Just my advise, but it's good advise. Enjoy the power of the wind.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah, agreed. Randy showed me drift launching at the skyway, but not sure its always feasible depending on the surf on the beach, oughta get him to show me other tricks. I have self launched in light wind with the dog stake trick with no worries. Didn't think about the beach signs. Sounds like I need to find a good beach near work with a convenient sign.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 AM

carry 2 leashes on your harness..
one for standard leashing.. the other as a spare and for self launching and landing..

fixed object launching and landing on a bow kite is very straight forward, but ensure object is truly "fixed" especially in gusty or high wind situations.

and asking Randy for a short self launch lesson is a GREAT idea..

-b

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Tom Stock

There are at least 5 different methods. Just pick one and get good at it.

You can also bury your board in the sand and use the handle as a fixed object in a pinch... but only in light wind.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Skyway Scott

I have to agree. I wouldn't recommend trying my or other methods without guidance and practice. I thought about it after posting the vids and deleted them when I realized someone could get screwed fast (especially the way I do it). It's not that my method is dangerous (if you do it right), but if you are clueless or just guesstimating, you will probably tangle your kite around bystanders, if at the beach.

Different people feel differently about things (big surprise), but I personally have no problem asking someone (non-kiter) to hold/launch my kite for me when it's crowded and windy. So that's an option, in my mind. (Not interested in debating it, btw).
As long as no one is immediately downwind and I pick the most open spot I can, it's about the same as relying on a stake in my mind.
Just give them loads of info and don't rush it. If they screw up, it's about the same as any other launch getting botched and if no one is downwind... oh well.
I usually pick a big guy, if possible. I have done this at least 50 times over the years. Only one went bad.

I never ask for help with landing, personally. I think that's a really bad idea.
For one, you can't show them how to do it... and words alone basically suck compared to visual demonstration with words.

Well, it's windy, I am outta here. :mrgreen:
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks for all the good info. I think a post is going to be my method of choice. I actually woke up early to be able go to the beach before work and hunt out a good spot with a post and found one. Should be away from the crowds as well. Scott, I actually thought about grabbing someone off the beach to help a couple weeks ago cause it was a perfect day and there was a lone beachwalker hanging out, but then i thought back to some of the heated posts on here related to "reckless behavior", and didn't want to be the kook that hurt a grandpa. I actually agree with you, I don't really see that big of a problem with it, since its not that difficult a job and unlikely to lead to an injury. I'm just not comfortable asking someone now, because I'm just freshly done with my lessons and fairly green at this, and I know if something did happen, alot of people would think I was "that kook that didn't know what the hell he was doing". I'm sure once I've proven to everyone around here I'm a safe kiter and have experience under my belt, I wouldn't really be that worried about asking for a nonkiters help.
Hopefully that doesn't spark a debate or a further hijacked thread. Thanks for the help.
Richard