FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Smile Monday Evening

Got a nice surprise session just north of the pier downtown. Bryan called and said it was looking good. Filled in nice as the sun went down. Great area. Clean shallow to deep water and plenty to see.

Bryan and I were nicley powered on the 16 waroo's.

Got to try out a 15 m monkey kite. Newbie named robert was doing some flight testing. Stayed out of everyone's way and was very cautious.(had lesssons with Steve-o)

The monkey kite had a very different feel from the waroo. Much more pull-reminded me of the c-kite days - not as quick to turn but more low end than waroo while not as much quick depower.

Great Light Wind Session!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Skyway Scott

The skyway was great too. I really like Spa beach a lot. I think I will try it tomorrow night.

It's a cool spot to sight see for sure. Was it about 13 or so?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html
Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 AM

Thumbs up

it felt more than 13...

i rigged and was riding the 16 waroo w/ lightwind board at about 5:15 and wind dropped 2 times to next to nothing.. Both times I walked back up the beach with the thoughts that I would have to put the kite down.. but then it would fill in again.

Think Dan showed up a bit after 6 and it started to blow another 2 or 3 more... Solid base of probably 13 or so with highs of 15 maybe.

The monkey 15m def has more low end than the waroo 16. It was rigged 1 to 1 on the bar (not using the pulleys) so it was slower than the waroo to turn.

A few tacks on the Monkey I was quite overpowered.. !!

I was able to get a few good jumps in but the kite is much slower (compared to the Waroo) to come back down. Would take some getting used to for sure.

All said, last night was a great unexpected surprise. I was feeling quite pathetic as of late w/ the end of "the season" and getting a good solid hour and half of nicely powered riding made up for it.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Bryan
The best part of "the season" (May) haz yet 2 come.
lotsa east DP's and sebreezes.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Big G, Tammy and I, Did a downwinder along the Courtney Camble yesterday. It wasn't bad and I am sure it made for some good scenery for the people driving home from work. The downside to that place is no beach to come in if the wind dies. It was blowing light at first and then some strong gust would hit and then die off again. It still made for a fun ride.

-C
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
invisible

Wow sounds like I didn't miss much. Decided to get my car worked on and a trailer hitch installed instead. Tried to ride from 2:30 - 3:30 but no luck. Filled in once, enough for 4 tacks and one jump... then it died.

Monkey slower than a 16 waroo and better low end. Wow thats pretty slow because the 16 waroo is pretty slow and clumsy at turning because of the fluttering... Sounds like the monkey has a lot of C kite left in the design. Maybe a good kite for wake style riding because a fast turning kite is not usually what you want when you start doing that type of riding. It needs to stay where you leave it.

I find unhooked tricks a lot easier on my waroo 16 (which is slower and won't loop on me when I'm not looking).
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM

between 6 and 7pm there was a good supply of wind. nothing to brag about, but it was a good fun time.

yes the 16m waroo is slow.. the monkey seems slower.. it boosts bigger tho.. but slower to redirect.

i noticed this when i was on the 12m a few weeks ago. was riding it in 20+ and had a blast. it was much slower than my 12 waroo to redirect tho it ripped me out of the water like a C. it just took a little while to adapt to the way it flew to get the timing set for powered landings..

its definitely a C hybrid. has the double line depower similar to the waroo 07 bar. i'd say its on the top of the list of kites i would buy ..

For the money its a great competitor to the waroo for someone that wants more of a C kite.

I have not tried the kite with a 2:1 bar rig.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Wow sounds like I didn't miss much.
I guess it depends on your "standards". We had 12 guys riding at sunset and beyond.
Most guys seemed pretty amped.
I was having a great time, personally. It was solid wind of 13 to 15.
Definitely well within my standards, but solid 12 to me is pretty fun on today's gear.
I am pretty sure you would also have had a very good time (unhooking).
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
invisible

Oh yeah no doubt. It was already tough to make the decision to miss riding to get the car worked on... now if you had said it was 18+ I would have been kicking myself for missing out. 12-13 I can live with missing without too much frustration.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM

im hoping for a repeat tonight at the SW
ill be there around 5 or so waiting on the wind...